Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

1996 manual trans, new battery ,new starter ,this will be

Customer Question

hello-1996 manual trans, new battery ,new starter ,this will be the third starter motor in 3 weeks-runs great only after I push the truck and pop the clutch-could it be something else in the system looks like threes nothing connecting as far as the ignition -one minute its starts up next it dead -lights work gauges on but no ignition -I really don't want another one put in -to much amps to starter over heated maybe-
Category: GMC
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello what is happening to these starters? When you have to push it off has the starter been tested at that moment and found to be faulty? This would be done by checking the purple wire on the starter and verifying it has 12 volts when the key is turned to the start position. There is a neutral switch a starter relay mounted to firewall, odds are that relay is weak or faulty, We need to check, will it crank now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1996 gmc pick up truck ,the starter motor i never new they go out this fast ,however i'm going to look at the starter relay or just buy a new one and neutral switch , take it back to mechnic let the warranty take care of the cost since it has been only3 weeks .

That is just it starters don't go out like that, I propose that you have a problem in the circuit that energizes the starter and perhaps nothing is wrong with starter