ls2gto2
ls2gto2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  gm certified technician,ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
61695331

My envoy is in park and when I turn the ignition off the

Customer Question

My envoy is in park and when I turn the ignition off the motor stops but the battery light is on and radio plays and cannot take key out of ignition. Car will start back up tho.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steering wheel does not lock in place either
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

Some electrical fault tracing will be needed to properly diagnose the problem. I can help you with the most common causes if you want to try replacing some parts, or help fault tracing the electrical circuits.

First you will need to remove the steering column cover, under this cover there is a electronic solenoid that needs to activate to allow the key to turn to the off position. this is used to prevent the key from being turned off when the gear shifter is in gear and not in park. You can push on the bottom of this solenoid and the key should be able to release. The solenoid is located next to the ignition switch.

The most common cause for failure is a micro switch in the gear shift assembly to fail. This switch is integral to the shift unit and will need to be replaced.

Thanks

William