Toolhut
Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have 2012 yukon xl. Since the mechanic can't figure it out

Customer Question

I have 2012 yukon xl. Since the mechanic can't figure it out I'm trying on my own. The mechanic states that the connector was changed on the driver side (I looked and verified that it is new). Tomorrow morning will be my 4th time taking it in for the same problem: driver side tail lights not working at all plus no brake lights on that side, but the blinker works. Also on the front lights the top yellow build does not work and also when that happens the daytime running lights won't work. I bought this vehicle 09/08/15 and can't even enjoy it cause I can't drive it. I take it in theyes get everything working only for a few hours then the same issue again. I am a woman. Very frustrated. Please help if anyone knows so I can tell the dealership what to do.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Do you have a trailer connection on this vehicle?

• If yes I would check the connections in the connector for corrosion and/or loose wires.

If no:

I would think you have a ground problem.

My suspicion would be when they check the connector the ground appears OK, They need to repair the ground and test with a high amperage bulb.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a trailer connection on the vehicle. The connector on the driver side has been replaced. Are you saying the trailer connector is different and that it should be checked?
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

the trailer connector is in the same circuit and can cause problems. It should be inspected and corrected as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would the trailer connection blow out only one side of the truck?
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

Electricity will take the path of least resistance. If the trailer connector has corrosion and causing a easier path it will go that way instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing. I notice none of the lights burn on the back driver side but if you turn the left blinker on the bulb will blink in the back. And the lights will light up on the back driver side when I lock and unlock it. Other than that no tail or brake lights.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

I really think you have a ground problem. Probably above the spare tire

Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.