GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a gmc acadia SLT 2, 2009 and got stuck in a very

Customer Question
Hi, I have a gmc acadia...
I have a gmc acadia SLT 2, 2009 and got stuck in a very difficult situation. After engine warms up to its optimum temperature, car would jerk and door gets locked unlocked followed by engine shut off randomly with error messages such as Traction off, Stabilitrack off appears with the check engine light, power gets reduced. After 5 to 10mins, engine would restart but with rpm disabled and power reduced. Kindly please advise me what to do?
Furthermore, I got these codes PO335, PO336 and PO430 with the scanner. What to do?? Please help to fix this problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
9/10/2015
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

OK, P0335 and P0336 are for the crank shaft sneers and that would cause issues with the running, P0430 this code is a very specific code. It relates to the operation of the catalytic converter chemically. It is monitored by the post converter oxygen sensor.

There are systems that must pass for this code to set, specifically the oxygen sensors must pass their own self tests to set this. Second this must fail twice in a row to set this code. All of this means that the rest of the system needs to be working or it will not set and it eliminates the sensors.

So the fix is simple, and that is to replace the catalytic converter. There are many aftermarket options, but time and time again the aftermarket ones tend to fail far too soon after making the extra cost of the OEM one a wise choice to consider.

There are two catalytic converter on this specific model. Which one needs to be replaced?

Bank 2 which is the front most cat.

I came across this from Acadia forum posts:
Repeat Catalytic Converter Failure
On some 2009 Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and OUTLOOK models, the ignition coil circuit connections may cause engine misfires that may lead to repeat catalytic converter failure as well as scoring of the cylinder bores.Check the X3 connector, pin 51 - circuit 5291 for odd cylinders and the X3 connector, pin 47 - circuit 5292 for the even bank of cylinders. Pin drag the connections. If a concern is found, replace the terminals.My question is where to locate these connectors and pins under the hood?
Thanks for the feedback.
I hooked up the scanner again and came across these dtc codes P0700,P0368, P0154 and U0101.Kindly please help where to begin. Do attach any relevant gmc bulletin / pictures with your answer.

Service Information

2009 Buick Enclave - FWD | Acadia, Enclave, OUTLOOK, Traverse VIN R/V Service Manual | Document ID:(###) ###-####/strong>

DTC P0341, P0342, P0343, P0346, P0347, P0348, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0391, P0392, or P0393 (LLT)

Diagnostic Instructions

DTC Descriptors

DTC P0341

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Performance Bank 1

DTC P0342

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1

DTC P0343

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1

DTC P0346

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Performance Bank 2

DTC P0347

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2

DTC P0348

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2

DTC P0366

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Performance Bank 1

DTC P0367

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1

DTC P0368

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1

DTC P0391

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Performance Bank  2

DTC P0392

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2

DTC P0393

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit

Short to Ground

Open/High Resistance

Short to Voltage

Signal Performance

Camshaft Position Sensor 5 V Reference

P0343, P0348, P0368, P0393, P0652, P2122, P2138

P0343, P0348, P0368, P0393, P0651

P0653, P2123, P2138

P0341, P0346, P0366, P0391, P0651, P0652, P0653, P2138

Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Intake Bank 1

P0342

P0343

P0343

P0341

Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Intake Bank 2

P0347

P0348

P0348

P0346

Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Exhaust Bank 1

P0367

P0368

P0368

P0366

Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Exhaust Bank 2

P0392

P0393

P0393

P0391

Low Reference

P0343, P0348, P0368, P0393

P0341, P0346, P0366, P0391

Circuit/System Description

Each camshaft is equipped with a camshaft position sensor that the engine control module (ECM) monitors. The camshaft position sensor is a hall effect switch that works in conjunction with a 4X reluctor wheel. The reluctor wheels are mounted to the camshaft position actuators that are mounted to the end of the camshafts. The ECM uses the camshaft position sensor signals in order to determine the position of the camshafts. The ECM uses the cylinder 1 intake camshaft position sensor to determine injector and ignition system synchronization. Also, the cylinder 1 intake camshaft position sensor is used to determine camshaft to crankshaft relationship. The ECM supplies 5 V to the camshaft position sensors on the 5 V reference circuits, and supplies a ground on the low reference circuits. The camshaft position sensors provide a signal to the ECM on the signal circuits. If the ECM detects extra or missing camshaft position sensor signal transitions, or a signal voltage that is more or less than the predetermined range, within a certain number of crankshaft revolutions, one of these DTCs sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ECM detects greater than 10 crankshaft revolutions.
  • The engine speed is less than 2,520 RPM.
  • The DTCs run continuously once the above condition is met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0341, P0346, P0366, P0391

• The ECM detects a signal from the camshaft position sensor, but the number of pulses are less than or greater than what is expected for one crankshaft revolution.

OR

• The camshaft position sensor does NOT correlate to the crankshaft position.
  • Either condition must exist for greater than 1 s, or cumulative of 10 s.

P0342, P0347, P0367, P0392

The camshaft position sensor signal voltage is always low and the ECM detects no pulses from the camshaft position sensor for greater than 1 s, or cumulative of 10 s.

P0343, P0348, P0368, P0393

The camshaft position sensor signal voltage is always high and the ECM detects no pulses from the camshaft position sensor for greater than 1 s or cumulative of 10 s.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0341, P0342, P0343, P0346, P0347, P0348, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0391, P0392, and P0393 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

Diagnostic Aids

The following conditions can also set the DTC:

• Physical damage to the camshaft position sensor or the reluctor wheel
  • Excessive play or looseness of the camshaft position sensor or the reluctor wheel
  • Improper installation of the camshaft position sensor or the reluctor wheel
  • Foreign material passing between the camshaft position sensor and the reluctor wheel
  • Excessive air gap between the camshaft position sensor and the reluctor wheel
  • The cylinder 1 intake camshaft position sensor is used for injector and ignition system synchronization. A stalling condition will occur if the CMP sensor signal is intermittent and a DTC will not set. Inspect all cylinder 1 intake camshaft position sensor circuits for poor connections.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Camshaft Actuator System Description

Electrical Information Reference

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition ON, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0651, P0652 or P0653 should not be set.
  2. Engine idling, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0341, P0342, P0343, P0346, P0347, P0348, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0391, P0392, or P0393 should not set.
  3. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Note: The control module or the sensor may be damaged if the circuit is shorted to B+ voltage.

1. Ignition OFF, remove the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM.
  2. Disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate B23 camshaft position sensor.
  3. Test for less than 5 Ω between the low reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.
    • If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance or for a short to voltage. If the circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  4. Install the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM.
  5. Ignition ON, test for greater than 4.8 V between the 5 V reference circuit terminal 3 and ground.
    • If less than the specified value, test the 5 V reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuits/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  6. Test for 4.8–5.2 V between the signal circuit terminal 2 and ground.
    • If greater than specified range, test for a short to voltage in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.
    • If less than the specified range, test for a short to ground or an open/high resistance in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  7. If all circuits/connections test normal, replace the B23 camshaft position sensor.

Service bulletins links are not working, suds I'm not authorized to view it.

Don't worry about the links, use the text only.

I still can't get to resolve the issue. Scan tool shows these two dreaded codes PO335 and PO336.
Acadia is shutting down intermittently after warming to its operating temperature. Car doesn't seem to start after that and engine cranks but no start.
Please help me where to begin. I'm not satisfied with the above answers. Awaiting your reply. Thanks
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

P0335 suggests now the crankshaft sensor needs to be checked for wiring and then if nothing found, replaced. Since you did replace it once lets pay special attention to the wiring. Here is the steps to diagnose.

Ignition OFF, remove the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal X2–56 of the ECM. Disconnect the harness connector at the crankshaft position sensor. Test for 5 Ω or less between the low reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.

If greater than the specified range, test for an open/high resistance in the low reference circuit. If the circuits/connections test normal, replace the ECM.

Install the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal X2–56 of the ECM. Ignition ON, test for 4.8–5.2 V reference circuit terminal 3 and the low reference circuit terminal 1.

If less than the specified value, test the 5 V reference circuit for a short to ground or for an open/high resistance. If the circuits/connections test normal, replace the ECM.

If greater than the specified value, test the 5 V reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuits/connections test normal, replace the ECM.

Test for 4.8–5.2 V between the signal circuit terminal 2 and ground.

If the voltage is greater than specified range, test for a short to voltage in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the ECM.

If the voltage is less than the specified range, test for a short to ground or an open/high resistance in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the ECM.

If all circuits/connections test normal, test or replace the crankshaft position sensor.

I have not replaced any sensors on my Acadia. Could u tell me the location of Crankshaft position sensor that needs replacement? Kindly, Send me the picture or diagram of CKP sensor location and part number. 2009 GMC Acadia, 3.6ltrs.
I replaced O2 sensors, but car is still the same. Before there was oxygen sensor error code with these 2 codes Po335 & Po336.
CKP part number information? Thank you for diagram, I wil replace it and wil update here.

That’s it, I would be mindful of the quality from Amazon so be sure of the warranty they offer.

Ignition OFF, remove the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM.Where to live 56-X2 of the K20 ECM?
Meanwhile, I got new crankshaft position sensor and wil update you shortly.
Update: replaced crankshaft position sensor, check engine light went off for about half an hour, car ran fine, then came up again. Scanner reads these codes: PO368, PO140, PO160.
What u say?

OK, the code P0368 is now the exhaust cam sensor bank 1. Below are the diagnosis for it, but it may only unplugged.

Ignition OFF, remove the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM. Disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate B23 camshaft position sensor.

Test for less than 5 Ω between the low reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.

If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance or for a short to voltage. If the circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

Install the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM. Ignition ON, test for greater than 4.8 V between the 5 V reference circuit terminal 3 and ground.

If less than the specified value, test the 5 V reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuits/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

If greater than specified range, test for a short to voltage in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

If less than the specified range, test for a short to ground or an open/high resistance in the signal circuit. If circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

If all circuits/connections test normal, replace the B23 camshaft position sensor.

P0140 and 160 are insufficient activity in the post catalytic converter oxygen sensors. Diagnosis is below.

Very informative. You mention to
You mention to remove the fuse that supplies B+ to terminal 56-X2 of the K20 ECM. Where to locate that? In fuse box??'any diagrams or picture. Pls post itI cant find that....
Post pictures of exhaust camshaft sensor Bank 1pls... Thanks

I will be offline for a bit now.

Hi
Im glad to tell you that after replacing Cam sensor on my acadia, that error code went away and car is running fine. However, there are two remaining codes PO140 and PO160. Kindly please post pictures which O2 sensor needs replacement.
Thanks for your help!!!

Hi again. So those 2 codes refer to post converter sensor, both sides.

First check for exhaust leaks to make sure the wiring is all good. If they are, then you should replace both rear sensors. #3 and #4 in the picture.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic