Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Databases
17871496

How do I fix the speedometer to a Hummer H2 2003. The needle

Customer Question

How do I fix the speedometer to a Hummer H2 2003. The needle does not come to zero when I stop. It stays at 70 MPH and works its way up from there when I am moving.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will mean the instrument cluster needs to be replaced which is around a $500 job at the dealership. Your other option is to send it out to repair facility there are places on ebay that will do it for around $80, buy a used instrument cluster and install yourself for around $150, or try to install a new stepper motor yourself. Replacing the Stepper motor is not something manuals cover or is something practiced so I wouldn't be able to give much help on that other then where to buy the parts. If your able to go without vehicle for a week or two sending cluster out for repair would be your best option. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dan...
What is an instrument cluster, where do I find it in the vehicle and how to I remove it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The instrument cluster is also the gauge assembly. Give me a few minuets and I'll upload replacement instructions. Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ey5ixmso7sp9wk/icr1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn5bkbgbf4dbyy2/icr2.pdf?dl=0

-

Here are instructions just follow the parts that apply in process to access cluster. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have sent me 2 sets of drawings....Instrument Cluster replacement and Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement. Thank you!
Do I need to remove all those parts in the Instrument Panel Replacement instructions to get to the Instrument Cluster Replacement? Or can I access the Cluster replacement without going into the Instrument Panel?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The cluster/panel are the same thing. You will need to remove plastic panel below steering wheel. Then you will need to remove plastic cover surrounding instrument cluster/gauge assembly/panel. Then there will be 4 screws holding cluster in place. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. THanks.