Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My key fobs and key 't work to unlock my 07 Yukon xl slt

Customer Question

My key fobs and key don't work to unlock my 07 Yukon xl slt
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

Hi there I am Cam. Do you mean that your key turns but does not open the door on your vehicle, and the remotes do not work? If this is so, can you tell me what the recent history on your vehicle is? Any recent repairs?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cam, this is correct. The key turns but does not unlock the door as well as the key fobs do not work to unlock the door. The key fobs also do not activate the alarm, the locks or open either the tailgate or the back window. The most recent repair that I had was a new motor put in approximately 7 months ago.

OK, have you used the key to open the door any time recently? I suspect that A your battery is dead, but B, you had doors repaired and likely have not used it since, and the door unlock actuator is not hooked up to the door key. Does this sound plausible?

If this is the case, then it could be difficult to work around. How to get the hood open to boost it is going to be interesting. If you want to try opening the door, get a coat hanger and put a hook on the end with a sharp barb. Get it inside then use the barb to hook into the pull up. Its the hook that bites into the plastic to pull it up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cam, thank you. I haven't had the doors worked on, but I bought the truck about 8 months ago so it is possible the doors were worked on at the dealership. I have not tried using the key until today, so I am not sure if it didn't work previously. I will try to get the door unlocked to jump start it.

The other option is to try and gain access to the positive post of the starter through the wheel well to get power to the vehicle enough to open the door electronically.