GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

2006 GMC w3500 gas. Turn the ignition on, dash indicator

Customer Question
lights on, relays engage, but...
2006 GMC w3500 gas. Turn the ignition on, dash indicator lights on, relays engage, but starter does not. And the problem comes and goes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
8/14/2015
GMC Mechanic: Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Toolhut
Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I would say that you likely have a starter beginning to fail. Obviously it would be best to diagnose when it is not working

Sam, I need some guidance. The key is turned the dash indicator lights go on, I hear the relays engage, but no starter. Again, what do you think.

Do you have a test light?

I have a meter.

Can you check for 12 volts at the small wire on starter when it is in start position? Also do you have a piece of wire?

I will be at the location of the vehicle later. So I need to have 12V at the starter positive terminal when the key is in the start position. And the wire is a jumper for?

No not at the positive terminal the S terminal which is the small wire.

If you have 12 volts at the S terminal I would like you to attach the jumper from the starter case to the frame and see if it starts then, It is common for these starters to have a bad ground. keeping them from starting. If it starts with the ground wire I would get a large 4 or 6 gauge wire and attach it to the starter and frame.

I'll try this later. Thank you.

If you have 12 volts at the S terminal and the ground doesn't help the you need a new starter.

I don't have any voltage at the S terminal when the key is turned to the start position.

OK, Then we need to figure out why. Can you try moving the shifter slowly while trying to start? There should be a fuse for the starter. have you checked that?

Did the shifter already. Checked all fuses in the beginning.

Ok, There is a starter relay in the relay center under back of cab. You should have 12 volts at 2 of the 4 terminals and ground at the other when cranking. Can you verify this?

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.
Sam, I will have a chance later today to investigate the relay. If you help me fix the problem, I will absolutely provide a great review. Thank you.

Let me know what you need assistance with.

Toolhut
Toolhut
Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician