GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

GM gmc Yukon XL SLT: my name is ***** ***** replaced

Customer Question
Hello my name is Joe. Has...
Hello my name is Joe.
Has anyone replaced the rear axle speed reluctors and bearings on a late model gmc / chevy with traction control? I have a 2005 yukon xl*****with traction control. I need help in replacing the speed reluctors, bearings and axles.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
7/24/2015
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? I am assuming you have the reluctor back on the shaft and its only when you are installing the axle back into the housing, if this is not correct let me know, but I will proceed as though its good. so there is really no forcing these back in. The axle will slide in and but up against the edge of the spider gear. Then you push down on the axle flange to lever up the other end and while doing this, turn the axle a bit to get it to line up and slide in. IF you are having to force it back in, then you have something out of place. Can you see if this works, and if not, reply to me here.
Sorry Joe, I see your name now. About about the rest, did that work?
Hello Cam,
The information that you provided below in incorrect. The speed reluctor has to be installed in the axle shaft prior to installing the axle and the axle bearing. You cannot press fit the speed reluctor on the axle shaft, install the axle bearing, then try and install the axle. The speed reluctor cannot get past the axle bearing. From you answer, I can tell that you have not removed or installed a speed reluctor on a gm vehicle. Where do we go from here?
Thank you,
JoeI am assuming you have the reluctor back on the shaft and its only when you are installing the axle back into the housing, if this is not correct let me know, but I will proceed as though its good.so there is really no forcing these back in. The axle will slide in and but up against the edge of the spider gear. Then you push down on the axle flange to lever up the other end and while doing this, turn the axle a bit to get it to line up and slide in. IF you are having to force it back in, then you have something out of place.
I will opt out then.
I have a 2005 Yukon XL with traction control. The rear axle seals were leaking so I decided to remove and replace them. After reviewing 1AAUTO.com vide on how to do this procedure, I commenced to pull the axles. The axles did not just pull out of the axle shaft. I had to force them to remove the C clips, then use a slide hammer to remove the axles. Since I already had the axles removed, I decide to remove and replace the speed reluctors as well.To remove the speed reluctors, I used a puller. Now both reluctors are removed. I want to reinstall the speed reluctors, gearings, and the axles, and get my Yukon back on the road.The problem: The speed reluctors have to bed installed in the axle first. You CANNOT install the speed reluctor on the axle shaft before you install the axle. The speed reluctor will not get passed the axle bearing. Once the speed reluctor is installed in the axle shaft, (this is not yet done because I do not know how to reinstall the speed reluctor without damaging it.) The speed reluctor is a press fit, interference fit, on the axle. Once the speed reluctor is installed, you have to use a slide hammer in order to reinstall the axle. How do you reinstall the axle, using a slide hammer without damaging the axle or spider gear at the differential? You simply cannot push the axle back in and try and feel for the spider gear. It simple will not work.
GMC Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Master Technician
Hello my name is***** have remover and installed axles before.After installing the speed sensor ring the bearing and the axle seal.Need to slide the axle in the sensor will stay in place up against tube.Here is what GM service manual says.Slide the axle shaft  into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.It may be necessary to tap the end of the axle shaft with a soft faced mallet as it is being installed to seat the wheel speed sensor ring on the axleLet me know if this helps.It will go in with out damaging the sensor
GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Master Technician