GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

GMC 04 sierra 6.6 turbo diesel: 04 sierra 6.6 diesel turbo

Customer Question
04 sierra 6.6 diesel turbo...
04 sierra 6.6 diesel turbo will not run unless starting fluid is sprayed into intake.then only runs for a second.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
I have replaced the fuel filter and both batteries.
7/19/2015
GMC Mechanic: FIX IT MAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me if the fuel primer pumps up on the filter housing?
thank you for responding Bobby, yes it does.
I can push the primer button about 20 times until it becomes too hard to push down witch is what I was told to do by the dealership because when the outside air temp. is over 100, I could start the engine, but it would die after about 10 are so seconds. now it will not start without the starting fluid.
sorry but the starting fluid made it run for about 1 to 3 seconds
Thank you. If it only starts with starting fluid but does not remain running then the high pressure pump may have failed or more commonly it is caused by a failure in the fuel relief valve in the fuel rail. These will warp and get stuck open and cause this. Do you have a scan tool that reads engine data?
FIX  IT MAN
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician