GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

GM Youkon Denali: I need to know how to replace the antenna

Customer Question
I need to know how...
I need to know how to replace the antenna and cable on my 2005 gmc youkon. I bought a cable and antenna from the gmc dealer but don't know how to reach it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
7/10/2015
GMC Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
I am sorry for the long waityou have the fixed base with the cable on it like this picture ?
Yes
ok these are challenging to do as the worst part of this job is getting the new antenna cable into the passenger side compartment then make a 90 turn which the wire will help withyou need to be very patient and you can do this jobok here is phase 1 to remove the upper part of the dash If equipped with air conditioning (A/C), set the air flow control to the instrument panel (IP) vent position.Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.If the transmission is automatic, move the shift lever all the way down.Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.Remove the IP cluster trim plate bezel.Remove the end panels. The left panel is shown, and the right panel is similar.Remove the right side air outletsRemove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.Remove the bolts retaining the panel to IP assembly.Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel.Remove the trim panel from the IP assembly
once that is off here is part 2 to change the cablegive me a minute to get it posted up for you
here is part 2any questions please askdont forget to rate me here at Justanswer ! Remove the I/P trim panel.Remove the antenna mast.Remove the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.Remove the 3 bolts.Remove the cable grommet from the body.Disconnect the antenna cable from the extension cable.Tie a long wire to the antenna cable.From outside of the vehicle, pull the antenna base and cable assembly until the wire can be easily accessible.Ensure part of the wire is still in the vehicleRemove the wire from the antenna cableINSTALLATION PROCEDURE From outside the vehicle, tie the wire to the new antenna cable and base assembly.From inside the vehicle, pull on the long wire until the cable can be connected and grommet seated.Install the cable grommet to the body.Remove the wire and connect the antenna cable to the cable extension.
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician