GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

99 GMC Suburban no start dumping fuel washing down plugs

Customer Question
firing ,no codes replaced key...
99 GMC Suburban no start dumping fuel washing down plugs firing ,no codes replaced key and lock cylinder ,try to start when you let key go back
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
7/2/2015
GMC Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
The most common cause for dumping fuel is a defective coolant temperature sensor.When the sensor fails the computer thinks it is -40 degrees and adds fuel to help the engine to start.If you have a scan tool that can read a data stream look at the engine coolant temperature sensor and see what it is reading.If it is reading -40 degrees change the sensor and that should correct your problem.
I put the coolant temperature switch on add coolant still the same problem won't start when you release the key it stumble like it's trying to catch it has about 63 lbs. Of fuel pressure
I need to know which fuel system you have.Do you have the injectors in the throttle body or does each cylinder have its own injector?The first one is known as CSI and the other is the SFI.Please let me know which system you have and we can go from there.I will be on and off this site most of today.
It has the spider type csi with the big plug on top
You have another common problem with this type of injector system.The injectors get stuck open and thus your fuel problem.You will need to remove the intake manifold to get to the "spider".Once you get the manifold off you should see a "puddle" of fuel on the side that has the defective injector.Most parts houses sell the spider so you dont need to go to the dealer.Please let me know if you need more assistance and have a great 4th,Don
Do you need any more assistance?
Don Knight
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician