Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

Trying to find info on my gmc 5.7 Cating number16093638 and

Customer Question

Trying to find info on my gmc 5.7 Cating number16093638 and suffix number K0831FSC. I was told this was a crate motor, and I am having a hard time setting timing.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
are you sure its not a 14093638 casting number ? gm never had them start with a 16what type of timing issue are you having ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, maybe it does say 14093638... It was a little hard to see.
My problem is I installed the motor into a1993 chevy k1500 suburban, it actually ran fairly well yesterday at start up but Ithought it was a tooth off because i had to turn the distributor all the way counter clockwise to get it to run....(turned over really slow grunt , grunt, and started)... With a slight misfire...since then i have made sure timing mark is at 0*, rotor pointing toward #1 cyl, #1 cyl at tdc, and spark plug wire at 5oclock on distributor. I just dont know if I am on compression stroke or not because I am working alone...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The timing chain appeared fine, a double roller.....
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when the engine is up on TDC the rotor should be pointing at where the # ***** spark plug wire attaches to the cap on the cap towernow with it set at 0 it still grunts and cranks slow ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
is this an old distributor in the engine ?what about the harmonic balancer ? new or used ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both are used, came with the engine.... As i said yesterday it started and ran pretty good except for a little mis.... Then i tried moving it a tooth or two and now I'm all backwards lol
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you put it back a tooth and set it to 0 will it still do this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Someone told me maybe i should set it at 10* because maybe it was a performance crate motor but I dont know about that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try.... Right now as i said i have everything in alighgnment and it turns over and ocassionally back fires out exaust... No start
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I might be 180 out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll follow your directions
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
these seem to like 0 degrees no more than 6this issue can be caused by a few thingsfirst i would put the distributor back a tooth and set the timing to 0will it start up fine after doing that ?that engine will not run if it was off 180
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah not running now.... Ok, i will go out and take it a tooth back... Give me just a few minutes
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Gary... Ok, sorry for the late reply. I went to parts store and got a remote start cable so I could turn the motor and feel #1 cyl come up on compression stroke. Set #1cyl. to Tdc, timing mark on harmonic balancer to 0*, rotor pointing to cyl.#1 and wire 1 tower set. Yeah, started from scratch!😀 hit the key and it purrs like a kitten.
BUT....
Service engine soon light stays on but reader shows no codes
AND
Engine quits running intermitently maybe every 5 minutes or 10 minutes...just like turning off the key. ??
Before I installed this motor, I replaced all sensors except the o2 sensors....i checked the catilytic converter and it was not red from over heating..... Almost seems like an occasional dead short ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After it quits running i can turn the key and it immediately starts back up.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
this has a remote ignition coil on it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Coil is on bracket next to distributor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have an extra coil out in the garage
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you first see if the pinkish wire are the coil shows 12 volts at it when it dies out ?