Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

GMC Envoy: Motor starts but fan does not turn...was "sqeeking"

Customer Question

Motor starts but fan does not turn...was "sqeeking" and fan seemed to wobble. I replaced the belt and still got problems. Do I need to replace clutch fan, water pump, or both...??? Or could there be another problem..??
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the fan blade is not turning at all ?and the pulley that the belt turns for the fan is being turned just fine by the belt itself ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes...pulley is turning but fan is only moving about 1 inch/3 minutes.....starts little smoking after about two minutes.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
where is the smoke coming from the pulley where the belt starts to smoke on the pulley ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
seems so.....engine temp gauge does not show being hot...and oil pressure looks ok too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pulley for the water pump looks like its turning...just not the fan.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok i agree if its smoking where the belt meets the pulley this will be a fan or water pump failure going onthe best action to take is to see if you can turn the fan by hand with the engine off if you can then remove the fan and then the belt and by hand spin the water pump pulley if you feel it binding the odds are you will feel it binding and you need to replace the water pumpif you can not turn the fan by hand then remove the fan and run the engine with just the fan off for 2 minutes ( it should not even get close to overheating or running hot within that time if it doesn't smoke at all then replacing the fan clutch should correct this issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
gotcha...I'll try what you suggested and go from there....if there is still problems I'll contact you again...thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
anytimelet me knowdont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the belt off the water pump pulley (housing) and I can easily turn the pulley by hand.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok with the belt off are there any pulleys that bind or do not turn good by hand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all pulleys turn by hand, no problem....of course crank won't turn by hand. Fan can be turned now but still has a little resistance.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
its very odd for the belt to smoke unless the belt is the wrong size or there is an accessory that the belt spins that is binding up slipping the belt causing it to smokeif that water pump feels fine make sure the belt is correct if it is remove the clutch fan and run the engine with the belt back on and see if it still smokes and makes noisethe odds are it will not since every pully feels fineif that is the case the clutch fan is bad