GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

GM: im trying to help a friend....he has a 2005 GMC savanna…

Customer Question
Hi im trying to help...
Hi im trying to help a friend....he has a 2005 GMC savanna that just failed ma inspection, he thinks po422 was a code they found an issue with the gas cap 7 fixed that NOW he has driven 200 or more miles trying to get the van "ready or reset" for the inspection...he said he bougt a hand help small cheep tester that will tell him when the van is ready?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GMC
6/10/2015
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.
As long as the check engine light isn't coming on anymore and as long as you do not lose battery voltage or disconnect and reconnect the battery or reset the computer with the hand held tester it can be driven to reset the monitors.On the hand held tester if compatible to do this,it should tell him if the monitors are ready or passed.This can take days of driving and different driving conditions to get the computer to run all of its tests to show that they pass before it can be retested.
Below is a procedure I have followed in the past to speed up the driving cycle to get these tests to run and pass.In some cases I have had to follow the below procedure twice.
Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.
Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.
Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.
Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.
Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed
Thanks Pete