Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

Gmc envoy: my 2004 envoy cruise control quit working. when

Customer Question

my 2004 envoy cruise control quit working. when it did work, the break lights stayed on all the time. had to remove the HVAC1 fuse to shut them off. any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
the cruise is incorporated into the brake light switch where if the brake light switch is not working correctly or even a brake circuit code is possibly set the cruise will not work
the odds are the brake switch is bad and is causing both issues
replacing the brake light switch should correct this problem you are having
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the brake light switch, fuses 34, 39, back seat. 12 ,39, under hood. still doesn't work. thanks anyway, I can live with out it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reconsidered. On the other hand, If you have any more suggestions that I can try, I would appreciate any help/ advice/ suggestions to assist me with this problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
do the rear brake lights work fine now ?
do you know if there are any codes current or history in the computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
breaks work fine. however, the passenger side climate control actuator not working, waiting for part to come in. only past codes were secondary air, and pressure sensor on fuel tank. those were fixed.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if you disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect both cables to the battery will the cruise work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
didn't work. but now I have no heat/air control and there is no display on the dash??????? ill check the fuse.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if the fuses are good then try that one more time with the battery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no cruise yet. still don't have any heat/ac controlls,fuses are good.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
thats very odd the heater actuators would loose there memory from a battery disconnect and or self learn within a minute of the truck being started back up
the next step is to connect this truck to a scan tool and monitor if the cruise switch is registering with the computer live data when the switch is turned on and the computer sees all the switch inputs when activated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
with the fuses good and the brake light switch working correctly the only 2 things left are the cruise switch or the wiring from the switch to the computer causing this issue