Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

GMC Jimmy: I own a 2000 GMC Jimmy SLT, 4.3L, 2WD, 4D, when

Customer Question

I own a 2000 GMC Jimmy SLT, 4.3L, 2WD, 4D, when accelerating there was a loud clunk and the transmission wouldn't shift until I let up on the gas. I also lost reverse gear. Do I need a new transmission? thx
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
I hate to have to say but it is in the trans. possibly the reverse band, (or rod) broke and with any internal transmission parts, the unit will have to be rebuilt. No shops will take them apart to just repair something, (like in the old days) unless it is under factory warranty and it's at the dealership's shop.
.
May be best to have a good used trans installed in it, considering the age of it.
….
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks and come again, anytime.
.
.