GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Acadia 2008 a/c button flashing and does not let out cool

Customer Question
air...
acadia 2008 a/c button flashing and does not let out cool air
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
5/24/2015
GMC Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
has anything been done yet to correct this issue yet ?
did this problem just start out of the blue one day ?
we bought a used acadia 2008 slt2 , the a/c light was blinking,no cool air is coming out, they fixed before we closed and we checked that it was working, after a day of using it the blinking is happening again and no cool air is coming out
did they fix a leak ? was it low of R134 ?
they said loose wiring, they tightened it , we are bringing it tomorrow they said they will fix, i googled TSB 09-01-38-004 and want to make i have the right lingo when talking to them
A/C - A/C Indicator Or Recirculation Indicator FlashingINFORMATIONBulletin No.: 09-01-38-004Date: July 31, 2009Subject: Information on Vehicles with HVAC Control Module A/C and Recirculation Indicators FlashingModels:
2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOKCondition/ConcernImportant
DO NOT replace the HVAC Control Module for a flashing A/C Indicator or flashing Recirculation Indicator, as this is normal operation.Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:- The Air Conditioning (A/C) indicator on the heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) control module flashes then turns OFF after they press the A/C button.
- The Recirculation indicator on the HVAC control module flashes then turns OFF after they press the Recirculation button.
- The passenger (PASS) temperature setting flashes then turns OFF after they press the PASS button.
- The driver and passenger temperature settings revert to previous temperature settings when changing from defrost to bi-level, vent, floor or defog.This is normal operation for the HVAC Control Module and indicates that the A/C, Recirculation and Passenger functions are not available at this time.The following parameters are reasons that the A/C functions may not be available (calibrated values vary by program):- Ambient air temperature (AAT) is too cold (if equipped with Ambient Air Temperature Sensor)
- Vehicle system voltage is less than 9.5 volts
- Refrigerant pressure is too low
- Refrigerant pressure is too high
- Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is too high
- Engine is not in RUN
- HVAC Control Head is in the OFF positionThe following mode settings are reasons Recirculation may not be available:- Mode switch set on Floor
- Mode switch set on Defog
- Mode switch set on DefrostThe following mode setting is the reason the passenger mode may not be available:The mode switch is set on Defrost.Note
The reason(s) A/C is currently disabled can be viewed with a Tech 2(R) by navigating to HVAC Data display and viewing the A/C Permission parameter.
Recommendation/InstructionsNote
To maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction, INFORM the customer of all of the following conditions:- The flashing A/C indicators on the HVAC control module represent normal operation and indicate that the A/C, Recirculation and/or Passenger functions are not available at this time.
- Changing the passenger temperature setting while in the Defrost mode will change the Driver temperature setting.
- Changes made to temperature settings while in Defrost mode will revert to the previous settings upon returning to Bi-level, Vent, Floor or Defog.
99 % of these are due to low refrigerant causing this problem
the odds are there is a leak causing this issue
as the bulletin states and also they need to monitor the temp readings the heater a/c controller is reading
as when the light is blinking when you try to use the A/C either a temp sensor is reading wrong or its too high or too low of refrigerant which when the heater A/C control has any of those readings wrong it will blink the light basically telling you it can not run the A/C due to one of those being the issue
as for which one is the issue is very hard to tell without connecting a scan tool to the vehicle and see what the heater A/C is seeing for inputs and viewing which input is not allowing the A/C to work
gary this type of work would cost typically how much? the dealership has a 3 day return policy and they are willing to repair so we dont return, what are the things we want on the report after they repair so we know they checked it and repaird extensively; also what does certified GMC repair shop means -- are they all GMC experts
it really depends if it has a leak or not with it loosing the R134 causing this issue
which could be many things that can be from a $ 100 0-ring to an A/C evap core or compressor or condenser which can rack up well over 4 500 or more
GMC certified means over 25 points are tested and passed and they will or are supposed to stand behind the vehicle for most issues
i would have them fix it for free rather than out of your pocket
thank you!
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
gary i just need a list of what i need to check on the report once they fix it, what are the things i need them to tell me
and what are the things i need to observe so i know that it is fixed e.g. when problem occurs again n days then it is not fixed etc
once its fixed it really comes down to making sure the A/C keeps running unlike what happened recently with them repairing it
if they fix it correctly the A/C will just keep working and it will not blink
there is not really anything you can tell them to check other then telling them they attempted a repair and they did not fix it and need to fix it right this time
the shops are the professionals and they should fix this right this time and not give you it back until its confirmed fixed by them
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician