Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

GMC Envoy XUV SLE: I have a 2004 GMC XUV Envoy. Both options

Customer Question

I have a 2004 GMC XUV Envoy. Both options for the tal gate would not open. Replaced both switches still nothing whats nest?
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tail gate. whats next?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
9My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The biggest issue with the XUV tailgate not opening is the 3 electronic controlled latches themselves.GM had released a bulletin on the latches to replace them with updated latches to correct this here.The tail gate will need released with a dealers Tech 2 scan tool or equivalent to send a signal to release the latches and in some cases this may take several attempt to do so.Once opened all 3 latches need replaced.
If you want the info on the bulletin and latch part numbers for this here let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i would like the info on the bulletin, are the 3 electronic latches different fromt he #31 switches I already replaced? Can you send part numbers or a diagram?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Here is the info on the bulletin below.Copy and paste the web links into a new web page or web tab to view them.
Bulletin No.: 05-08-66-008
Date: November 11, 2005
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Endgate, Glass Or Root Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches)
Models:
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:
^ The endgate is hard to close.
^ The endgate glass will not open or close all the way.
^ The retractable roof will not close all the way.
Cause
A build up of dirt or dust on the switch inside the latch may cause this condition.
Correction
Replace all three endgate latches with a new robust latch from GMSPO.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pf4xryy60vaehut/l-05-22.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7llbvzi7sxaap14/la-05-22.gif?dl=0
The latches look like this below (not the component with the two screws pulled out of it in the picture below but the larger component in the picture below) and these are separate from the switches you replaced.The latch failure is very common on this model and replacing all 3 corrects the fault here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7o24goeuodqww4a/latch-05-22.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete