Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

GMC Yukon Hybrid: i own a 2011 yukon denali hybrid with 46K

Customer Question

i own a 2011 yukon denali hybrid with 46K miles at the time the auto was in an accident in nov. 2012. the struts were leaking but not replaced at the time. the rear end hopped over road speed bumps with little to no rebound or dampening of the road condition. as time passed the front suspension worsened and the frontend bobbed up and down multiple times with any change in road condition. was the rear end hopping over the speed bump a sign the struts were damaged and not preforming correctly?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
which were leaking the fronts or the rears ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the front struts. the rear are air shocks
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when the fronts where leaking that was a sign they where bad
then as the fluid slowly leaks out the ride because worse
the fronts when leaking back then where not doing there job 100 % and that will cause the ride to be effected in the back of the truck almost as much as the front and cause rear end hop feeling with excessive jounce and rebound
the best action to take with this truck to get the ride back correctly is to replace the struts/shocks and that will correct the rear hop and the front bounce issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
these struts are part of the electronic suspension system correct? why didn't the onboard computer indicate a suspension failure?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the electronic suspension just monitors if it can control the adjustments on the struts then a return signal that the actuator actually moved to where it told it to move too
it does not monitor the inside of the strut or for a fluid leak
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how does a bad front strut or bad front struts make the rear air shocks not do their job of shock absorbing and ride comfort or in the alternative cause the rear end to hop over those speed bumps?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when the front struts are leaking they are bad and allowing too much jounce and rebound which will effect the rear dampening
the front struts when leaking were bad and needed to be changed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so the rear hop was a sign the front struts were bad?I was told that struts rarely go bad, that they last in most cases for the life of the car especially the quality of strut found in the yukon denali.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when the struts are leaking they are bad
they should have been replaced when leaking as when they are leaking they are loosing the fluid in them and allowing too much jounce and rebound and the rears can not dampen both the front and rear and can even be over worked when the struts are leaking/bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not is not the answer to my question. was the rear hop a sign the front struts were bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
was the rear hop a sign the front struts were bad and/or are the rear shocks bad too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
who is the new GMC mechanic