Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Gmc k3500: I am looking to buy a 1995 GMC k3500 to pull a 25'

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a 1995 GMC k3500 to pull a 25' gooseneck trailer with 250 bales of hay. Total at of hay and trailer would be 14-15000 pounds. Would the engine be able to pull that much? Thanks!
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. That is a bunch of weight! Are you looking to pull this load on the flat ground or hills? How far? What sort of climate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Interstate 75 from west central Ohio to Lexington, KY. Hardest pull is up from Ohio River on KY side
I am not familiar with that section of the interstate. How steep for how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4.5 hours of drive time with four steep hills, one of which is about one mile long.
Then I would want the 6.5L diesel or the 454. A 350 would be lacking. Even these will be working very hard but they should handle it. How many trips are you looking to pull?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
13/year.
I will be honest, if you can find a good one in that range then it should work, but given its a 20 year old truck, I feel it may be hard to find a good one. So if you can find a good one then it should handle it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The truck has 107000 miles and is in OK shape. The asking price is $4500 and I think I can buy it for $4000. What would you guess the cost to put in a 454 or a diesel?
If I had to guess, a 454 would be 2500 and a 65, maybe 5000 it's not a simple thing to simply change over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If our mechanic would be willing to do the change, which of the two engines would you put in, 454 or 6.5 diesel?
Diesel so the 6.5l.