Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 18 years exp. in this field.
15218643

GMC Sierra 1500: I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71. The "service

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71. The "service airbag" light just came on yesterday. I plan to have it checked, but can not get in for a few days. Can I still drive the vehicle in this condition without doing further damage. The manual suggests problems may occur, but it covers every possible angle of what might happen.

Thanks,
Dave - Thunder Bay ,Canada
Hello!

You won't damage the Airbags by driving it more. The light means theres a fault in the Airbag system. The only risk is to you and your passengers. The airbag light also means the airbags are deactivated and will not deploy in a crash. Thats the only risk you take is you have no airbags now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Anthony, I guess my main concern after reading all associated sections of the vehicle's manual was they suggest that the airbags could deploy without being in a collision. This concerns me greatly if I am driving on the highway at high speed. Your response suggests this will or can not happen. Am I understanding your response correctly?
You are very welcome!

Lets be on the super safe side. Pull fuses marked AIRBAG IGN and AIRBAG BATT from the underhood fuse block. This will make it 100 percent disabled in every respect. Plus the controller will still have the problem stored so it can be checked when the fuses are put back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again Anthony. That response just put me in good mood as I will be travelling this weekend. Although no airbags, we'll just be more careful than normal. Appreciate your help!!
Thank you also
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We'll call it a day and I'll proceed to the rating. ,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You've answered my question. After this I'll go to the rating tab...thanks.
Great thank you. Please do give a good rating.