GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

GMC hummer: what cuases a clunking noise when accelerating

Customer Question
what cuases a clunking noise...
what cuases a clunking noise when accelerating in low gears in a hummer h3 2006 model
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: GMC
3/8/2012
GMC Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 5 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician

Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Is it a single clunk when accelerating?

yes its a single clunk, it happens frequently when moving off from a stop line or when i would suddenly accelerate

The common problem with the H2 is the body mount bushings popping. The fix is to install insulators between the body mount bushings and the frame.

Bulletin No.: 07-08-61-006C

Date: July 24, 2008

Subject:
EI07118 - Underbody Noise, Pop, Creak, Body Mount (Install Upper Body Mount Insulators)

Models:
2005-2008 HUMMER H2

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to adjust the labor time. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-61-006B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a noise coming from the underbody of the vehicle.

Cause

This condition may be due to body coning in the area of the upper body mounts.

Correction

Install insulators to the upper body mounts.

i said that i have a H3 and NOT a H2

Sorry, missed that information. Be right back
On the H3, a clunk when accelerating is normally caused by the driveshaft sticking on the output shaft of the transfer case. The fix is to clean and lubricate the internal splines of the front driveshaft yoke. Use GM Special Lubricant for this.

do you think that the front propeller shaft universal joint could be a source of a problem; my mechanic said it is broken and needs replacing

When universal joints break, the driveshaft will fall down on one end. If the driveshaft is not hanging down, the u joint is not completely broken. The u joints can fail and have a good bit of play in them and make a clunk noise. If the u joint is worn, I would definitely address this first.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician