GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

GMC Sierra 2500: How do you change out the power steering pump

Customer Question
How do you change out...
How do you change out the power steering pump on a 99 GMC 454
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GMC
1/19/2012
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Did your new pump come with a pulley attached to it already?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
havent bought one yet
O.k.

The new pump usually wont come with a pulley attached to it so you will need a power steering pump pulley puller and installer to remove your pulley from your old pump and install it on the new one.

Once the pulley has been pulled off then there will be a few bolts that hold the pump to the front bracket,then at the back of the pump there are some nuts that need removed from the rear bracket,the hoses are then disconnected and the electrical connector from the valve on the pump,then the pump can be removed and replaced.

Here are the specific instructions:

1. Place a drain pan below the pump.
2. Remove the hoses.
3. Cap the hoses.
4. Remove the drive belt.
5. Remove the pulley.
5.1. Install the power steering pump pulley puller.
5.2. Be sure the pilot bolt bottoms in the pump shaft by turning the nut to the top of the pilot bolt.
5.3. Hold the pilot bolt.
5.4. Turn the nut counterclockwise.
6. Remove the front mounting bolts.
7. Remove the rear mounting nuts from the studs.
8. Remove the electrical connector from EVO actuator.
9. Remove the pump.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, GMC Mechanic
Pete, GMC Mechanic