GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I'm a pro auto tech and have spent many hours on this

Hi I'm a pro auto...
Hi I'm a pro auto tech and have spent many hours on this vehicle, and this is a very specific question. So please don't answer this based on what you think or what you heard or googling. Please only answer this if you're very familiar with this vehicle and this system. It's 2003 Express 2500 van. There were a number of HVAC issues and most of them were fixed already. The last issue is with the temperature door actuator. It is electronic. All the other actuators on this van are vacuum powered. The issue is that when the temp actuator closes off the heater core side, for A/C, the door doesn't close all the way, its still open around an inch and a half. However when it goes the other direction, it does close all the way. Many things have been tried and checked. There is no binding in the door, it opens and closes freely when the actuator is removed. The HVAC fuses have been removed and put back in in attempt to recalibrate. The HVAC control unit has been swapped with another one to check. And the actuator has been swapped with another one to check. Nothing has changed with all of this. What on earth could it be??????
8/14/2020
GM Mechanic: R Clark,
 replied 2 years ago
R Clark
Hello my name is***** to Just Answer I will be the expert helping you today.When you go back to the hot side dose the actuated click also have you checked to see at what point the door actually closes on hot. Point being two thirds back to hot or where on the temp selector?
Very good point, thanks. ***** solved the issue. Believe it or not, the oem actuator AND the Dorman aftermarket one both did not have enough travel ,for whatever reason. I happened to have another new OEM Delco actuator lying around, and swapped it in, and that one travelled further! Weird and crazy. Thanks for your helpI'll rate you five for your help, thanks
GM Mechanic: R Clark,
 replied 2 years ago
That is what I was thinking it was too I always center the actuators to befor I put it on. Center the knob with the actuator plunged in but not installed then unplug it and install.
R Clark
Good idea. Thanks again