Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

We've been having electrical problems, finding the battery

We've been having electrical problems, finding the battery drained. One day I found the radio was playing when I opened the door. Unplugged the radio, put on a battery tender and today when I tried to start it, it turns over for a second like normal but won't stay running. The gauges aren't registering, either.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: What fuse? Where is it?
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2004 Silverado 2500 duramaxx hd 6.6 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just the battery tender and replacing one battery.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your 2500 electrical. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online.

• Do you own a scan tool to check the modules for codes particularly the BCM?
  • Do you own a DVOM so we can test the ignition switch and do a drain test?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have neither but I saw a code DODO on the instrument panel, if that helps.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
no thank you

Unfortunately, that does not help. In your case, it may be best to tow the vehicle to a shop. For the radio concern, it being on is controlled from 2 things, the ignition switch, and BCM. Either could have failed and resulted in the battery draining, which in turn could have damaged the BCM and instrument cluster. When a draw on a battery kills the battery, the dying battery can cycle on and off rapidly and damage sensitive electronics. I do not recommend any repairs until proper diagnosing has been done.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your questions. If you have any follow up questions on this concern please use the reply button to let me know. If you are satisfied with my answer please reply, let me know so I can complete your question.

Are you still needing assistance? Please reply and let me know if more help is needed or if you are all good.

I'm going to go ahead and mark your question complete if more help is needed, all you need to do is reply.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
We were asked if we had 2 technical tools that we don't have, then advised the truck will need to be towed. Not a lot of help. He did mention 2 component possibilities that we were able to research online. He followed up numerous times, but I never responded (shame on me). So at 3.26 am yesterday he sent a text that I didn't hear, but this morning's at 4:34 am I did hear (shame on him, because I couldn't get back to sleep for 1 hour.) Not very professional. The truck? It's still waiting to get it out from under the RV so we can have it towed.

We do not know what time zone customers are on nor where they are in the world. I work till 5 am in the morning and see just as many customers asking questions then as I do when I am online at noon. Sorry, it was a time when you are asleep when I responded.