Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

It’s is a 5.3L engine. The shifting issue is that it must

Customer Question

It’s is a 5.3L engine. The shifting issue is that it must rev up to 3,000 RPMs (approx 20-25 MPH), at that point if I gently let off of the accelerator, it will shift into 3rd gear. Otherwise the transmission works normally.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I'm Chris (aka-Moose). I've been an independent contractor here for 13 years, and have gotten pretty good at diagnosis & repair sight unseen. However, I'm not good at sympathy through a keyboard. I do care about you, your vehicle's issues, and the funds you're spending, just not good at showing it. Sometimes I respond above your skill level, am to blunt or rough around the edges, just let me know so I can help you best to your and my ability. I am most often online central time 11-3 midday and 8-3 at night.

Once you get it into 3rd, does it shift normally?

Do you have a scan tool to see if the computer is commanding 3rd gear long before it actually shifts?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it operates normally otherwise. I have a scan tool. The OBDll but not it’s not registering any faults. I do get the check engine light on dash. I have cleared it and it returns within 24 hours.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am willing to continue with this form of communication.

Will your scan tool allow you to see the PCM commanding shifts to occur?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don’t know, how do I find out?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 days ago.

You would go into the data logger section and look at the PIDS and find one for gear which should show something like 1-2-3-4

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 days ago.

I noticed you have not responded. I assume you may be having trouble figuring out how to reply. I am going to try and answer now with the information you did give me. It will be brief and general for now, but I can do better once you respond.

If the computer is commanding this odd shift pattern then it could be the TP sensor. If it is commanding a shift but the shift is not occurring immediate then the transmission has internal issues.

Thanks for letting me assist you, Chris.