GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2001 silverado extended cab. Dome light and door couretsy…

2001 silverado extended cab...

2001 silverado extended cab. Dome light and door couretsy light stay on after door is closed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing self

3/24/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, GMC Technician

Hello, my name is***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. Give me a few minutes to review your question and i will be back with your answer or a few questions

Not sure if you still need help or not....Please let me know if you wish to continue here on Just Answer

please continue. when opening door it cuts off radio like it is supposed to, so I don't think it is the door switch
now my message center is cycling between low fuel and check engine

You may have to have the vehicle scanned for codes...a local parts store like autozone or Napa should be able to do this at no charge

anything to try before then?

You may have more than 1 thing going on as well....the dome lights staying on may be completely unrelated to the messages you are now getting. You could try disconnecting the negative (black) terminal from the battery for a few minutes and re-evaluating

tried that already. is there a relay that affects dome light and curtesy light?

Does the radio turn off if it is on and you open the door?

on each door

Stand by a few minutes...let me look at a few wiring schematics. I'm a tech at a Chevrolet dealer

thanks

Would you consider your Silverado a Base pickup or Uplevel....Base would be like a work truck with no carpet but rubber flooring

no it is not a work truck.
it has carpet front and back

Okay ...There is a body junction box located on the drivers floor area between the parking brake and the steering column....There will be a black cover over this....behind this cover you will see a couple of relays...on the bottom row...the relay to the left is for the courtesy lamps...remove it. Let me know if you're not sure of where i am talking about

I know exactly where you are talking about. what do I do after i remove the relay

See if the lights go out

Then we can move forward

pulled the relay and them lights were still on. pulled relay next to it and lights went out. it is labeled inadv pwr

Ok put courtesy lamp relay back in...put the inadv pwr one in and out and see if it clicks while doing that

no sound coming from relay

Do the lights come on and off when you you plug it in and out

but remember door is open and light SHOULD be on

You are going to have to close the latch manually with a srewdriver or something....just like it would be if the door was shut on the striker for the latch

too dark to see any further. will try again tomorrow
thanks for your help

I'll be on and off tomorrow just let me know where you are at and we'll continue

OK, started the day by putting everything back the way it was. Now dome light works fine. Turns on when door is open and turns off after a few seconds when door closes. I am so confused. Current problem is no low beams and cannot get high beams to stay engaged. What is up with that?

Could have been just a connection issue with the relay you had removed....it could be sticking internally....is this something new with the headlights

this is brand new
I checked bulbs...they are good
where are fuses located?

Stand by a few minutes and i will get that for you

checked fuses and removed hdlp relay. all good so I put back. Low beams are now working but high beams will not engage. I can pull the lever back and get high beams to work but they will not engage when I push lever forward

That switch is bad....That's the only thing it can be

that is the one located in steering column?
what is the correct part number?

Yes it's a multifunction switch that also operates the turn signals....I don't have part numbers available to me

OK, that will be next weekends project anyway. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and please don't forget to rate me 5 Star for providing you with the assistance to resolve your issues

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, GMC Technician