GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Engine is making a tapping noise in lower rear 08 4.8 L. 66…

Customer Question
Engine is making a...

Engine is making a tapping noise in lower rear 08 4.8 L

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

66 000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 GM?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i am not its at a repair shop they thought it was the flywheel was cracked. not it ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GM
3/23/2018
GM Mechanic: Jerry Newton, GMC Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician

They can run the engine without the transmission installed if they put the starter back on it. I have been known to do this to find noises like this, I would make very sure of the source of this noise before putting the transmission back in it. The flywheel can have tiny cracks in it that are almost impossible to see, if the noise is gone with the transmission removed, it probably is the flex plate (since the torque converter isn't connected to it and making it flex).

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

GM Mechanic: Jerry Newton, GMC Technician replied 3 months ago

Did you get anywhere with this?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.