GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I removed the battery from my 2002 gmc envoy, went to the…

Customer Question
I removed the battery from...
I removed the battery from my 2002 gmc envoy, went to the auto parts store, gave it to them as a core and purchased a new battery.
I installed the new battery about an hour after removing the old battery.
When I went to start the vehicle the engine will crank but it wont start.
it was starting and running fine before I removed and replaced the battery.
any suggestions?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GM
3/18/2018
GM Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is there an aftermarket alarm or remote start on the vehicle?

Any odd warning lights on or flashing with the key in the run position?

No aftermarket alarm. No remote start. About a week earlier I did see “Reduced power” light up on my dashboard. It went out after a few minutes.
Over the last two or three weeks there has been two or three times when I would start the vehicle and it ran very rough for maybe a minute and then it would smooth out and start running fine.

Let's start by checking the primary things the engine needs to run. This file below will help and or solve this concern. More than likely it will just help and tell us where to start looking for the issue. Can you do these steps and report back on your findings?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ktbyx7qne7wme/2018-03-18_012955.png?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Can you send your last message without using Dropbox?
Never mind. I got it opened in Dropbox

Thanks

My mechanic has performed all those tests and all looked good.
Also, the cruise control had stopped working about 3 days before this happened.

If that is true then the car would be running. Is the vehicle at the mechanics now, have they given up on it?

It is at the mechanic’s now.
He doesn’t know how to proceed.
I have to get some sleep.
I’ll connect again tomorrow.

If you have compression, fuel pressure, ignition spark, injector pulse. Then you have an engine that will at least start. It may not run right or well but it will run. They are overlooking one or more of these tests. If you are not able to diagnose yourself and your mechanic has thrown in the towel then unfortunately it needs to go to another shop.

As I stated in my first message,the no start occurred only after I removed and replaced the battery.
I'm just a shade tree mechanic but, if you follow the logic, that would indicate that this is an electrical problem. Not a mechanical problem.
Also, as I mentioned, over the last couple of weeks, I experienced two or three short episodes of rough running, had my "reduced power" light come on briefly and experienced the failure of my cruise control. All potentially electrical issues.
Based on these issues I'm thinking that my ECM may have failed.
Your thoughts?

I also agree it appears module or electrical related. Once we know what is missing we can then figure out why that is missing. For example, if you have no spark then we can see if the PCM is getting a signal from the crank sensor and we can see if the PCM is ground pulsing the coils and see if the coils have power and check all the powers and grounds to the PCM. However, you said your mechanic verified all systems are working correctly.

For me just to say replace the PCM would just be an expensive guess, that is why I am trying to help you diagnose so it is fixed right the first time.

My mechanic has verified both fuel and spark.

Fuel meaning good fuel pressure or the injector are pulsing?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris