GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

97 gmc truck 454 motor need to grind on motor about half the…

97 gmc truck 454...

97 gmc truck 454 motor need to grind on motor about half the time before it will start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 GMC?

2500 series

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel pump fuel pressuse reg

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Usually grind about 5 sec

3/15/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician

Is is the same hot or cold?

sometimes it starts good hot usually grind everytime cold
it is changed since I replaced fuel reg valve It did not start hot but good cold
it does act a bit weak battery ,but the battery checks good

Have you ever put a gauge to the fuel pressure test port to see what the fuel pressure measurement is?

I have not but 2 different mec proable have.
are you still with me

I am, sorry, I had to take a phone call.

OK, so fuel pressure is probably good. Do you have a scan tool of any kind?

no
I will check fuel pressure. what should it be

OK, what I am curious about is whether the engine computer is seeing RPM when you're cranking it. As these big blocks get older, the crank position sensor swells up and will have trouble reading the crank reluctor at low rpms, and since it only cranks at 150rpm in the first place, if the sensor isn't picking it up, you'll have no spark or fuel until this sensor starts reading.

It's hard to diagnose since it starts every time, eventually, but fuel pressure would be my number one concern, and since that's been addressed, my second concern would be replacing the crank position sensor. This is a bit of a job, particularly because they commonly break inside the engine (made of plastic), so you might want to refer this to a repair shop to have them do it. You have to be a little easy on it, and even then, it may break and require some extraction.

Fuel pressure should be 56-62 psi.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician