GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

4wd and 4wd high was working until I tried to lock in the…

4wd and 4wd high...

4wd and 4wd high was working until I tried to lock in the 4wd low. Now, all three will only flash.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

05 h2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I im.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just toggling buttons back and forth.

3/14/2018
Pete, GMC Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Try this if this has not been done already.

With the engine running place the transmission in neutral and then press 4 high to see if it shifts into 4 high or press 2 high.Do this at a stand still in neutral.If this does not work do this with the vehicle rolling less then 3 miles per hour in neutral.

If it still acts up what has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out of the transfer case computer.This has to be done with a compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicles data port and can read the transfer case computer ( as not all scan tools can do this, it usually takes a higher end scan tool for this ).There will be at least one code set in the transfer case computer that will need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.

In allot of cases it is the transfer case actuator at fault needing replaced or the position sensor inside the actuator needing to be replaced.In some cases, a local parts store can read out the codes at no charge to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I it was working until I pressed the low

Did you try shifting into neutral at all and shifting in and out of 4 low or 4 high to see if it then starts to work properly again?

I did both

Were any noises heard when trying to shift it again?

None
I heard low engage the first time I pressed it and nothing since

O.k., I suspect the transfer case actuator is stuck needing to be replaced or the position sensor in the actuator is sending a false signal.It should shift back out of 4 low when in neutral at a stand still and if it is not doing anything at all this is the most likely cause.This was a common fault with the actuators on these here.

The fault codes need to be read out/checked with a scan tool that can read the transfer case computer.This will help to identify if the actuator or the sensor in the actuator needs replaced.But I do suspect one of these is the cause here.

Thanks Pete

It locked in 2 high but all three just flash

That is usually an indication that the transfer case actuator position sensor is not sending the proper signal.The actuator has an internal sensor in it that sends a signal back to the transfer case computer to let it know what position it is shifted into.If this sensor fails ( most common ) it causes this issue here.

Having the codes read out of the transfer case computer will help to locate if the sensor needs replaced as a code can set for position fault.

One thing you can try is to locate the 4wd fuse in the under hood fuse panel and remove it for about 5 minutes then reinstall it to see if it resets and works properly as this sometimes works.It may be labeled 4wd or TREC.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Technician