GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have high oil pressure and a bad oil leak. New oil pan…

I have high oil...

I have high oil pressure and a bad oil leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

New oil pan gasket, I've visually inspected all lines

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2003 Yukon xl 1500. 5.3, 2wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have replaced the oil pan gasket and visually inspected all lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The leak is between the oil pan and the bell housing

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician

This oil leak isn't coming from higher up, at the back of the engine, and running down, is it? The oil pressure sensor is back there, really hard to see but it's a place I'd look at with a mirror and flashlight, just to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it's not. I'm aware of the pressure sensor on the back of the block. It shows high oil pressure on the gauge, and I believe the pan is filling up and oil is finding it's way out between the pan and bell housing. Is that possible? I'm assuming that would mean my oil passages are clogged
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was sludge in the bottom of the pan when I changed the gasket.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to tell you this, and it's going to be a dumb decision on my part, but the oil pressure gauge has been at 80 psi for years. It's never had a problem though. Well, now I believe the pressure IS high, and its finding the path of least resistance. So I'm not sure whether to switch out the sensor, sending unit, or where to start. I do hear a ticking on the passenger side of the block. I was thinking oil isn't making it's way to that side, but is the only option clogged passages? Or could something else cause that?

Oil pressure is measured at that sensor, which is all the way up at the top of the engine, so if your oil passages were clogged, you'd read low oil pressure here, not high pressure.

It's likely that your sensor is no good, first of all. I would replace that sensor. Second, the oil pressure relief valve is on the oil pump, which is not a fun job I understand, but if you think your pressure is too high, I would go there looking for the answers. I've never seen oil passages plug up. I've seen a lot of bad oil pressure sensors, and I've seen a fuel stuck pressure relief valves, which typically stick in the open position, not closed.

I would put a new sensor in it, and start from there. If you still think it's too high, you'll need a good scan tool to verify, because this sensor is an input to the PCM, and the scan tool will just tell you what the oil pressure sensor is reading. The oil pressure gauge could simply be no good, or the sensor itself is no good.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

An oil leak between the engine and transmission is going to be the rear main seal, though, unless you damaged the oil pan gasket as you were installing it and it's running out of there. And of course, a leaking rear main seal means removing the transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done an oil pump on a 5.3 and a 6.0. Front cover had to come off but it's not terrible. I replaced the oil pan gasket because of the leak, it just continued with the new gasket. I'm headed back over to it now, I just wanted an idea of what parts to buy on my way.

I would put a new oil pressure sensor on it, and I would replace the rear main, if that's what it needs. I like to add oil dye to the engine, run it, then put a black light to it. I would do this before taking it apart, so when you pull the transmission out and remove the flex plate, you can shine a black light on the rear main and confirm that it's leaking before you touch it.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician