GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali, we had a snow storm last week.

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali, we had a snow storm last week . While on my way home from work (5-6 inches of snow) my TCS and Stabiltrack starting to go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes I was driving while it happened, battery was near 14 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change the plugs, wires, and coils

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When i had the truck looked at read misfire in Cylinder 7 yes, I had a slight rough idle in my veicle prior, not a misfire, but you could look at the block and notice the vibration within ther engine

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician

Is the truck still acting up, is the engine still misfiring?

Once the code was cleared the truck is running as it previously did. Still have that rough idle that I previously had
I bought a TPS , but did not put it on. I also notice my cruise control doesn't work at all, not sure it that helped, but i figured mention it
Misfire Cylinder 7 is the code the Scanner read.

The Stabilitrak system won't work if there is an active misfire, because this would damage the catalyst in the exhaust.

New plugs, wires, and coils, and it's still misfiring, yes? Compression testing and leak down testing would be next, and if those things are OK, I would swap injector #7 with injector #5 (they're next to each other) and see if the misfire follows the injector. These engines have a problem with #7 injector clogging, due to the way the engine slants and the fuel system is designed, if there is any debris that gets past the filter, it tends to settle into injector #7 and clog it up. If the misfire follows the injector, replace it.

Its not a hard misfire, but idling I literally watch the tachometer move slightly up and down, and when it doesI feel it in the vehicle. That information was crucial with the injector, I replaced everything and its running the exact same way.
I'm assuming damage is too far gone to try any type of injector cleaner?

Will you be able to swap that injector and see if the misfire follows?

The times I've seen #7 injector get clogged up, it's right at the inlet screen of the injector. You can see it when you take it out of the fuel rail, looks like little bits of rust or whatever, just all piled up and restricting fuel flow through the injector. Cleaner wouldn't touch it, nothing will dissolve this stuff. You might tap the injector on the bench and knock it out, but a new injector is what GM tells us to do, so that's what I do.

I understand that a fouled injector will cause a misfire, but would the clogged injector cause the rough idle. Also this misfire only happens in stressed environments ex. snow, towing

The clogged injector doesn't completely shut off the fuel, it just leans out that cylinder, so I would see it exactly as you're seeing it at idle: a little bounce in the vehicle, a little twitch in the tach needle, but not really a hard misfire like it's running on 7 cylinders.

Do you have a misfire under load, like when you're towing, too?

I appreciative all this great info! Three more questions and I'm done
1. My front right tire TPMS malfunctions in heavy rain. Would you just recommend replacing that one?
2. I have a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st, and a push upshift from 1st and 2nd. 109,543 on the denali now, what will cause the push, almost feels like a gap , similar to a train on the railroad that has slack when it starts and stops.
3. I notice on the highway I have more than usual sway in the steering wheel, Control arms were checked, the rod that about 12" inches long, vertical were replaced ( forgot the name of this part) . I hear a noise (clunk) over speed bumps. The truck is just rough overall over bumps, it doesn't smooth the bumps out like it use too. I was told the shocks were changed , but i bought the truck a little over a year ago and I put about 20,000 highway miles on it. I'm thinking the shocks are worn, but you are the expert.
the misfire was under load, I never see it under normal conditions
  1. The TPMS sensor is inside the tire, protected from elements. I've never seen one affected by wet weather. I'd prove this out by rotating the tires, relearning the TPMS sensors, and (like the fuel injector) seeing if the failure follows the sensor.
  2. The difference between 1st and 2nd gear is a clutch release combined with a band apply. It's common for these two things to not happen at the exact same time, giving you that feeling of weirdness as the shift progresses. GM calls it normal, and that you shouldn't even try to fix it, because it depends on too many variables like clutch stack, machining tolerances, etc. What you can do, and what I have done in the past, is install a 2-4 band servo piston out of a Corvette in the transmission. This snaps up that band apply and gives a much more firm feel, though it won't change that timing I was talking about, the band at least won't be lazy on the apply and it will give a "shift kit" sort of feel to the 1-2 shift. Same for the downshift, the timing is causing that feeling, and again, GM says not to try to fix it, it's not detrimental.
  3. 12" long vertical... you must be talking about the intermediate shaft on the steering column. We had huge problems with those, making clunking noises. The telltale on those is that it would rarely clunk when driving perfectly straight. If you turned the wheel to 9:00 or 3:00, it could clunk so bad you'd swear something was falling out of the truck. Tire condition plays a huge role in ride quality. The parallelogram steering is never really as tight as a rack and pinion setup, idler and pitman arms wear out with regularity. If there is an issue with the speed sensitive steering, it will default to full assist, making you feel like you're driving on ice at highway speeds, but this is usually accompanied by an ABS light or message.
thank you, ***** ***** from 2 to 1 is more than i think normal. At times I check behind me to make sure no one has bumped me. Just want to make sure I didn't leave any symptoms out. and I will look into that band to get that "firm feeling back".
Would you recommend me still changing the shocks on the truck?

Only if they aren't dampening. Depends on what shocks you have there, are they too aggressive? Off road shocks, like Rancho and Skyjacker, are very firm and aggressive. The best shocks I've come across are OEM: AC Delco shock absorbers have the best right quality, and I try to install those any chance I get for a customer.

You can test shocks for wear by just bouncing the front end. Put your knee on the front bumper, and give the truck a few bounces, then let off and watch how many more bounces it does by itself. It should rebound once then stop bouncing. If it cycles more than one time after you stop pushing on it, the shocks are worn out.

Again, tire quality and condition plays a huge role in ride quality.

I apologize, I forgot to ask you about the cruise control I mention to the initial rep . My cruise and my seat release button at all. I know its a electrical issue, but with your experience you have any suggestions or heard of this issue before?
Thank you, ***** ***** question is my last question I promise lol

Cruise control won't work if you have an active misfire. That's normal. Does the cruise ever work, or does it only stop when you have this misfire happening?

What seat release button are you talking about?

Both of them never worked ever

I'm still not clear.... seat release... on the back seats or where?

Before I had any misfire, but that injector been clogged awile, its been a process of trying to narrow the solution down thus far
the seat release on the back seats, the button in the second row and all the way behind the third row does nothing at all. no noise of attempting to make the release , like the cruise control , no symptoms at all

Rear seat fuse, 20A, is the fuse for those release motors. The only thing that makes sense is the fuse is open or the ground is open, this isn't a system we had a lot of trouble with, frankly. This fuse is in the IP fuse block on the side of the dash. The grounds are separate for each side, so probably not a ground issue. I'd get after that fuse.

Thank you, ***** ***** the cruise control not working?

If there is a misfire that's current, it won't work. Otherwise, there are scan tool diagnostics for it. Stoplamp switch failure is common, try putting your foot under the brake pedal and pulling up on it while driving, and engage the cruise. If it works, you need a stoplamp switch.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician