GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Just finished installing a 2004 LQ4, 4L80e and NVG 263

Just finished installing a...

Just finished installing a 2004 LQ4, 4L80e and NVG 263 transfer case in a 1965 Toyota Land Cruiser. I replaced the transfer case shift control module and am wondering if I need to reprogram that and/or the ECM

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is a 2004 with 4 miles of use

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Land Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just finished the installation (myself). The factory Service Manual says that the transfer case module needs to be reprogrammed. Everything is working properly, but it is not shifting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Transmission is working flawlessly, the transfer case is not shifting

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician

Yes, a TCCM needs to be programmed if you put a new one in it. If the ECM is original from the engine/transmission combo, there's no need to program that. I assume you've already worked out the VATS issues with this swap.

Ok. Thank you very much. My JET Tuner does not reprogram the TCCM, so I will have to pay to have that done.
Ok. Thank you very much. My JET Tuner does not reprogram the TCCM, so I will have to pay to have that done. I can and have turned the VATS off in the ECM

Yes, only a factory scan tool and a subscription to GM's TIS website can get this done for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician