GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My 98 Jimmy won't start. Key gets stuck in ignition. Opened…

My 98 Jimmy won't...

My 98 Jimmy won't start. Key gets stuck in ignition. Opened console and manually ckd safety switch - was able to move gear shifter. Opened tiny cover on steering column, inserted tiny screwdriver in hole which released stuck key. What I need to know is which part to replace.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel is locked, key will turn to ACC and start, but turning key doesn't start car. Key is in good condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jimmy yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do want to fix it myself. So far, all I've done is what I mentioned in my opening dialog

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 - Heating & Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

the ignition lock cylinder need replaced ,click on link to view RR procedure and the table symptom chart referring to your issues and the part # needed

you can buy from local parts store or online .

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat

Thank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Perform this relearn after replacement of ignition switch

click on link to view

I'm not sure where to type my follow-up question. I clicked the justanswer link above and typed my question. Did you get it?

yes I did