GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I am replacing a power steering pump on a 2005 Pontiac

Montana SV6. I have removed...
I am replacing a power steering pump on a 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6. I have removed the three bolts, I have pulled the pulley to allow access to the high pressure side bolt which has been detached. I have unhooked the low pressure side line from below. The pump is very loose and nothing appears to be holding the pump back. However, I cannot lift the pump out, it appears to be obstructed on the engi9ne side. I cannot find the obstruction, any ideas?
2/10/2018
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Have you tried tapping on the body of the pump and prying out of the bracket? IT is off you just need to get it out.

I have tried prying the pump up with a large screwdriver. No go.

It pulls straight up and out as shown here (click)

There is a wiring harness in front of the pump which then goes underneath the pump to the back, BUT, it should not be connect to the pump...as it is purely mechanical? I will continue to pry, the pump is so loose you would think it would just lift out.
thanks for the schematic! tryng hard to lift it out!

Yes, the pump is free, no wiring connection.

I got it, thank you! Had to rotate the unit then lift...weird!

Glad to hear you got it. Please complete the rating if you have no further questions.

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician