GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a Hummer H2 2003 model. I was running low on fuel and…

Customer Question
Dave I have a Hummer...
Dave I have a Hummer H2 2003 model. I was running low on fuel and parked on hillside and believe fuel ran to front and uncovered fuel pickup. open door jumped out and left vechicle running and door open, as I got out I heard a hum coming from underneath the rear of the hummer. I just assumed at the time the fuel pump was getting a little noisey. proceeded to go inside, left door open. When I returned the vehicle had shut down
Putting 2 and 2 together I thought ihad parked on that step hill causeing fuel to run to front of tank, as I was very low on fuel. Placed in neutral and coasted to somewhat level ground. tried to restart vehicle and starter would not engage. replaced starter still nothing so turn attention to starter relay. pull cover off top and placed ignition in run position and manually closed relay and started engaged flywheel but either lack of spark or fuel has vehicle shut down. long and short starter will not engage with key cylinder and when placed key cylinder is place in run position and the relay is manually closed started is turning motor over but will not start. Passlock system? Not sure if vehicle has to detect fuel pressure to go into start and run mode, if so, could I have burned fuel pump up leaving pickup uncoved with key on for 30 min? Sorry to be long winded but what you to have all the facts. any help you could be would be appreciated.
Thanks Bill Harris
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GM
1/12/2018
GM Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

ok, you should hear the fuel pump energize(hum) for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to the on/run position. If you do not, the fuel pump burned up, which is what the symptoms suggest.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

That would mean no fuel pressure would shut down the starting circuit. Correct?

HI,

Correct.

when we say starting circuit we re saying no power to starter motor
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Bill, I am CAm. Can you try one thing, turn your key to crank then release it to run and then engage your starter and see if that will let it run. Its the cycle to crank that sends the passlock signal to the computer. the outcome will help us decide which diagnostic direction to take.

Will do but be early afternoon before I can get back to you.

Sounds good.

Cam hummer did nt start.

Ok, lets try the relearn.
Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.

Ran through pass lock relearn still nothing

Ok, currently is the check engine light on when you turn the key on?

but goes out after few seconds

Does the fuel pump even try its prime cycle?

Also if you have a code reader, can you see if it connects with the ECM and can read any codes?

Can I mis spoke, I don't know if check engine light is on my brain went to pass lock icon. I ll check for check engine light when I get back. I can hear no sound from fuel pump but never have except when I parked on hillside and problem started. All I hear when I turn key to start mode is a click like a contact closeting. Sounds like it s coming from driver side of engine.

OK, Lets verify the check engine light, that will be vital.

K and I ll get a code reader on it

ok

Cam sorry so long getting back to you. I do not see a check engine light but when I first power truck up and all the dash lights go into short self test mode I m not seeing it then either. Also put a code reAder on it and ve child will not communicate with it. Have be out of town.
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 3 months ago

Ok, that is a place to start. I suspect a possible ignition switch issue. Can you do this test?
Pop the tilt lever out and take the lower trim of the column off. With your multimeter set to DC volts, place the red lead on the red wire. With the switch turned on, test the other leads with the black wire. Record the reading and let me know what those are. Repeat the test on the red/white wire. Let me know the results.

The alternative is to jump the red to pink and see if the check engine light some on.

How do you pop out the tilt lever

It is wiring loaded, use a pry tool, large screwdriver and pry it straight out of the column.

Spring loaded. Damned auto correct.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic