GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a Hummer H3 Alpha. My check engine light came on over…

Customer Question
I have a Hummer...

I have a Hummer H3 Alpha. My check engine light came on over a month ago. Took it to parts store they put the tester on it and it says Cylinder 7, so I changed out the #7 ignition coil hoping to remedy the problem. No luck! So I took it to mechanic to get a tune up. Check engine light stayed off for about 24 hours. Truck is sputtering when at a stop and kind of feels like it is miss firing going down the road. Now check engine light blinks most of the time when it's not blinking it just says on.. Any Suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Both. When it's not blinking it stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your H3?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed #7 ignition coil. Mechanic gave it a tune up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GM
1/7/2018
GM Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So we need to check the actual spark on 7 and see what its doing first. Also would be good to get the codes read again incase there are more codes that popped up

Even after a tune up?

yes all he did was replace parts not do any diagnostics, we to start with the basics and go from there, even a new coil could be bad you cant rule anything out we need to do some actual tests instead of parts replacing

10-4, I will get it checked out.

sounds good let me know what you come up with

hows it coming?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician