GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have an oil pressure (low) issue and have exhausted all of…

Customer Question
I have an oil pressure...
I have an oil pressure (low) issue and have exhausted all of my options as I know them, I need help. I have a 2001 Suburban, 220000 miles, 1500, 4WD, 5.3 engine. It started after fixing a fuel problem that led to changing the fuel pump. On the test ride, about a 1/4 mile out, I noticed on the gauge, and the warning light, that the oil pressure dropped to zero. I got the van back home and started to troubleshoot the problem. Here is what I've done so far...changed the oil & filter (several times), dropped the oil pan and changed the O ring on the pick up tube, tore the front end down and changed the Oil Pump. I still have the problem with no oil pressure. Can you help? Where do I go next.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GM
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
GM Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you removed the oil pressure sending unit and installed a manual gauge to read the engines actual oil pressure?

Is the engine noisey such as having lifters rattling?

No, I have not used a manual gauge to check the pressure, put in a new sensor, no change
The engine is noisy with the lifters rattling.

If the engine is noisy then you do not likely have proper pressure. If you sure the new pump is okay and the pickup screen is clear and you still have no pressure then you are likely looking at worn engine bearings. With the number of miles, you have on the engine that is also very likely.

The engine is noisy with the lifters rattling.Is there anything I can do to prove this. Sometimes when I start the engine, like right after I changed the oil pump, the pressure would go to 20 lbs at idle...i would let it run for a couple of minutes like that till I hear the engine get quieter...when I would accelerate the engine the pressure would drop off till it reached zero. Is this any kind of indicator?

I would recommend that you remove the sending unit and install a manual gauge and read the actual oil pressure for starters.

Thanks for your answer however is there any thing I can do to prove this sometimes when I start the engine like right after I change the oil pump the pressure
pressure would drop off till it reached zero is this any kind of indicator?
would go to 20 pounds at idle I would let it run for a couple of minutes like that until I hear the engine get quieter when I would accelerate the engine the

When you changed out the oil pump did you also make sure the pickup screen was nice and clean?

When I changed out the oil pump I did not drop the oil pan so therefore I did not see it then but I have had the oil pan off twice and the entire pick up tube was removed and cleaned and then replaced

This sure sounds like you have a restricted oil pick up screen, are you 100% sure its clean?

Actually Ron there were two of us possibly three of us working on this staying and I probably live not 100 percent because I didn’t I am not the only one who touched it I guess I could go forward and take off the oil pan again which is four-wheel-drive is quite difficult difficult so I will Lahm I will proceed to try to do that probably when the weather gets better I have it in the garage with at my sons house but it’s extremely cold spell P right now any Virginia alarm it’ll warm up in another week or so so thank you very much

Well if you have a new pump and the bearing are okay it should build and hold pressure. It is come up and drops off, that sure sounds like a restriction and in most cases that is the pickup screen. One thing you may want to try before you remove the pan is do an engine oil flush with a good solvent and see if that helps with the pressure. In some cases, it will clean the screen up for you.