GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2008 acadia P0776 error code. 148K Yes I have scan tool.

Customer Question
2008 acadia P0776 error...

2008 acadia P0776 error code

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

148K Yes I have scan tool

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Last wednesday i was driving home from work on highway doing 70 MPH trans felt funny, when i got home i had a P0776 error, I took car into dealer ,,, I asked if they could flush trans, maybe replace shift solenoid, change filer to satrt offf with .. Tbhey had the car a full day , then they said i needed a new trans LOL

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

From 0 - 40 it feels like it has always over shifted, which i thoough could be a programming issue

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: GM
12/19/2017
GM Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

cant talk on phone im in work

GM has released a service bulletin dealing with the fault code P0776 dealing with a broken clutch wave plate which could very well be the cause of the problem you are having. Unfortunately, to repair this the transmission would need a complete teardown and if this is the cases that is likely why they are recommending a replacement. This is something they should have been aware of before the spent your money on a service that was not going to fix the problem. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for your review.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60tr9gfrhbnopvk/Trans%20bulletin%20Dec%2019.pdf?dl=0

I am aware of the TSB that deals with wave plate until 120K ,,I have 148K.. i am not sure if they were suppose to contact owner. (Me) .. either way. that window is gone... My real question is ,,, IF I flush trans,, Change Shift Solenoid, change filters etc ,, will that help me???

Unfortunately, I do not think that will help you, with the number of miles you have on the transmission I think that would be a waste of your money.

what about rebuilding exiting trans???
Do i have any chance of maybe getting GM to foot part of bill since it was an original defect

Rebuilding your transmission would be fine, The only way to know if GM will help you with this repair would be to present your case to there service rep and see if they will help. If the value your business they may help.

thanks but thats not going to happen at dealer maybe at corporate level,, dealers do not care, they want you to buy or lease new car
Final question, what is my total bill for this service,,,???

From what I can see it looks like $26. I have no control over pricing and that is controlled by the Site. I am simply a user of the sight just as you are. I only receive a partial payment if you rate the service.

well tell you the truth i was expecting an answer i could use.. Not everyone wants to spend 2000 to 4000 to fix trans,, I was hoping you could provide some solutions that could prolong trans without replacing or rebuilding.... Anybody can just replace parts

Unfortunately, I can not give you a fix that is not going to fix it. If in fact the clutch plate is broken the only fix would be a teardown and replacement and if your going to tear it down that far then an overhaul would be the correct repair.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician