GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Want start...indicator lite says deterrent system engaged.

Customer Question
Want start...indicator lite says...

Want start...indicator lite says deterrent system engaged

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. What is the make/model/year of your car?

Hummer h3..2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet...trying to disengage deterrent sysem

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GM
12/11/2017
GM Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

First, there is no way to disable the theft system without a compatible scan tool. Second, do you have a spare key you could try? It sounds like your key has lost programming.

tried spare key.....vehicle will star at times, then at other times engine want respond,

In that case the passlock sensor likely needs to be replaced. This will require programming after it is changed out. Your best bet is to have the system diagnosed by a qualified automotive locksmith. They should have a scan tool that will be able to test the transmitter and the keys to see which is or isn't communicating.

Have you ever had the vehicle scanned for trouble codes?

Please let me know if you need additional info.