GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Ignition switch locked. Steering wheel has some play. Key…

Customer Question
Ignition switch locked. Steering wheel...
Ignition switch locked. Steering wheel has some play. Key stuck in run but can access start. New Battery out
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GM
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
GM Mechanic: Gary, GMC Technician replied 8 months ago
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

what position in the key stuck in ?

The key can move from run to start

does it feel physically like it s stuck in that position ?

can you get the key to go back and pull out ?

stuck. turning wheel doesnt help. problem started with solenoid chatter replaced battery now solenoid won't even fire at all
Whole story
Had apair of air shocks installed friday. machanic may have disconnected the old inoperative air pump for the old air springs in rear
Saturday drove car. Ran fine.
Pulled car into garage. Turned on ignition later to start & check fuel and soleniod chattered, starter didnt turn so replaced battery (2.5 yrs old)
Put in new battery. solenoid chattered again and starter didn't turn and ignition key stuck in on position onlyNow no slenoid noise when battery is connected and swtich turned to start position.
Tried applying pressure to turn key to off while connecting battery and got key to turn to run and start.positions but still unable to move to off or move shift lever.
GM Mechanic: Todd Audette, GMC Technician replied 8 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, GMC Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing you question and would be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately your ignition switch will need to be replaced and this is complete coincidence that this happened after the repairs you had done. This was a common issue on this vehicle especially with the shifter not being able to be moved unless any fuses are blown

We could speak on the phone if you would like