GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

It is stuck in Park and would not move. I will go try

Customer Question
It is stuck in...

It is stuck in Park and would not move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

I will go try again...I will plug the code reader as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

I can tell you brake feels hard 2005 canyon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have it in my driveway....not sure how to tow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All tires are locked.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GM
12/2/2017
GM Mechanic: Todd Audette, GMC Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, GMC Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** would be happy to assist you with your Canyon. I'm reviewing your question and will with you shortly.

Brake light is on when stepping on the brake. Gear would not move.
I will pay to get it fixed

It sounds like the actuator that locks the shifter could be the fault. That is on the steering column. Do you need information on how to get it into neutral to have it towed?

It looks like to continue on I have to pay again. It would not work.

No you don't have to

Ok. Then how do I proceed?

Are you going to have the vehicle towed?

How do I get it in neutral?
What is the location of shift lock? Gear is next to the wheel...
I will hAve to get it towed.

The easiest way to do this is to block the wheels so the truck doesn't roll and apply the parking brake. You will have to get under the truck and unsnap the shift cable off of the transmission and move the lever on the transmission 2 clicks back into the neutral position. A tow truck driver may be able to do this for you. I can attach an illustration for the location if you would like

The location of the actuator is on the steering column attached to the shift lever

That is Chinese to me. I gave up. I will have towed sometime.

Like i said a tow truck driver should be able to get it into neutral to tow it. They do this all the time. If you would kindly leave me a 3-5 star rating for trying to assist you that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You're very welcome for the free advice by the way

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, GMC Technician