GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Computer says engine hot,, but the temp gauge says zero.

Customer Question
Computer says engine hot,...

Computer says engine hot,, but the temp gauge says zero

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Filled up the coolant,,was half a gallon low

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2012 sierra ,, pain jane model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the coolant,w,as thinking its a bad sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Coolant fans stay on,, engine lite says engine hot a/c turned off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GM
11/25/2017
GM Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is the temp gauge actually reading cold?

What size engine is in your Sierra?

4.6 l v-6 1500

temp is reading cold,, dashboard display reads engine hot a/c turned off,, it wasnt on anyway

Okay, thank you for that, the common cause for this type of problem is in most cases caused by a sticking thermostat meaning its stuck open and that causes the gauge to read cold and also cause a false reading for the engine temp sensor. The fix in most cases is to remove and replace the engine thermostat and refill the system. I have enclosed the thermostat replacement steps in the link below as well. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6u6efhw1qmbtp5r/thermostat%20Nov%2025.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.