GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2003 Hummer H2 blows cold air on drivers side and warm air…

Customer Question
2003 Hummer H2 blows...

2003 Hummer H2 blows cold air on drivers side and warm air on passenegr side. Have donethe HVAC reset and it seems to fix the problem for a few minutes and then it happens again when I star the truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

No I hav not. Would that affect only one side of the HVAC system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

By myself along with youTube. I have done a soft and hard reset of the hVAC system The soft being pulling the HVAC fuse for 1 minute then replacing it and then letting the HVAC system go through a computer reset. I have done the same with the negative battery cabl removed. It seems to fix the problem for a few minutes at least which tells me that the factuators are probably working. I was also thinking it might be the ambient Air temperatur sensor but I dont know whree its located. Its winter here in Colorado so I need to get the heat working on the drivers side ASAP

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that it No I think thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GM
11/25/2017
GM Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Hello

This would either mean the air mix actuator has failed or the heater control. Considering reset fixes problem for a few minutes that points toward the heater control as problem but I'd still test to make sure. You will want to monitor voltage at actuator when switching from hot/cold and if voltage changes you know the actuator is problem. If voltage doesn't change then you know controller is the problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Id rathere do this by message can we get started?
What about the ambient air temperature Sensor. I want to check that but I dont know where its located.

That wouldn't cause this problem. When you change setting to full hot it overrides the temp sensor. Temp sensor only comes to play when you are trying to set a specific temperature. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Which actuator would affect the drivers side? Is it located on the drivers side or underneath the glove compartment?

Give me a minute and I'll find a diagram for you.

Here is a picture, the instrument panel will need to be removed to access. Let me know if you have questions, thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze3l741jwzm1007/actuator.pdf?dl=0

Nevermind, you can access it by removing insulator panel. Here are instructions. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eooz8rieelwctke/ip.pdf?dl=0

its the one on the drivers side? Is it a mode or recirculation actuator?
Where is the ambient air temperature sensor located?

No, it is the air temp left actuator. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

The temp sensor is #6 in the picture.

if its No4, Left temp actuator its on the drivers side? Im getting confused here. I know there is an actuator under the glove box thats easy to get to and the one on the driver side a little more difficult, thats why Im asking

It is on the drivers side, you will need to study diagram to make sure you testing the right one. Let me know if you have questions, you can reply to answer at any time without additional fees. Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

I'm going to pull the actuator today. I don't think they have the part over the counter but at this point is doesn't matter. I can order it on Amazon. The dealer will be way too expensive. I've seen a few people pull it in YouTube so I think I'll be able to as well. Thanks for checking in with me!

No problem, let me know if you end up needing anything. Thanks.