GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2003 ENVOY, When I try to reset heater control back to

2003 ENVOY, When I...

2003 ENVOY, When I try to reset heater control back to default by holding both buttons for 5-10 seconds ,when I release the AC (snowflake) button flashes 3 times. Is this a trouble code?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant is fine . No Leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Battery Disconnect over night .. Pulled al AC and PCM fuses and relays several times over and relays including swapping

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was working fine before battery replacement

10/20/2017
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hi there, I am Cam.

no the flashing of the snowflake is not a DTC. Can I ask what issue you are having with your Envoy?
Is it that the heater operation is not working properly after the battery replacement, or is it stalling after that?

Heater vents don't shut of when you go to floor or defrost. tried to reset heater control to default by holding both buttons in with blower on 5. for 5 to 10 seconds and when I release them the snowflake flashes 3 times not 4 like it is suppose to

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  4. Connect all previously disconnected components.
  5. Remove the HVAC B fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
  6. Install the HVAC B fuse.
  7. Start the vehicle.
  8. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  9. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs
I have done this several times with no result! What does the 3 flashes mean?

Usually the 3 flashes means the system is not allowing the operation of AC due to colder temperatures.

AC WORKS FINE! Vents don't reset so I was checking to see if the control has a malfunction!

The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. The recirculation switch closes the recirculation door in order to circulate the air within the vehicle. The outside air switch opens the recirculation door in order to route outside air into the vehicle. Regardless of the blower motor switch position, recirculation is available only in the panel and bi-level mode switch positions. Including the OFF position. The mode switch must be placed in either the panel or bi-level position before the blower motor switch is placed in the OFF position. In order to reduce windshield fogging, outside air is circulated when the mode switch is in the defrost or defog positions. If the recirculation switch is pressed into the ON position when the mode switch is in an unavailable mode position, then the recirculation switch LED will flash 3 times. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the recirc door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to outside air, which is the defaulted position for the recirculation actuator.

what is the fix?
This actuator was replaced 3 months ago.... and reset just fine at that time and Now actuator sweeps full range just fine.. well lubed at install...... Answers?

What brand of replacement?

Did you try touching the cables of the battery together while off to reset?

GM No grounding contact!

Ok, try grounding it. With the cables off the battery it will drain the capacitors of the module and reset it to defaults that way.

Okay will check back

ok

No change Actuators all switch initially on relearn but acts like it don't remember!

Do you have the means to get codes from the heater module?

It may be that the new actuator is bad and it will be covered under a parts warranty.

No My obd 2 wont open it.. Guess I'm off to the dealer again!

That bites, I wish they would. I know a BLUEDRIVER does but thats with 100$ for the module, but then you can use your phone to scan all modules.

Seems we are at a dead end now, (boo-hoo) Thanks for your input! Seems sometimes the answer don't want to be found!

Or the means we are using to get there hits brick walls. I wish this interface could allow me to scan your vehicle, it would make my job much easier!!.

Is there more I can get you?

Don't think so right now.... But who knows! Thanks again!
Any Links on this type problem on this vehicle that you could share?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. :)

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Nothing that popped up, no.