GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My H3 is stuck on 4WH locked event though the 4WH unlock…

Customer Question
My H3 is stuck...

My H3 is stuck on 4WH locked event though the 4WH unlock button is illuminated

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

96000, first time this has happened at least to me.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your H3?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I can, I have gone through shifting to different transfer gears and drove in reverse to try and unlock what seems to be the stuck gearing engagement.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GM
10/18/2017
GM Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing well. My name is***** am a GM master certified technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

What you are experiencing is common on these 4wheel systems. The front axle has an electronic actuator motor that is there to engage 4wd. When the actuator gives out it will either have constant applied 4wd or it will not work at all. Since the unlock button is illuminated that shows that the computer is requesting the actuator to disengage, with no response.

To be sure you can remove the actuator, and then reverse the vehicle to verify that the 4wd system disengages, this will help us to determine if the actuator is at fault