GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have a 2003 H2. For years now, when I tow something, the…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 H2. For years now, when I tow something, the temperature goes up to 260 degrees very quickly. I start to lose compression. I have to tow at about 35 MPH. I have had the radiator/engine flushed with no result.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

What could the problem be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not fixing myself. I took it to radiator shop . new thermostat installed too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it. i need to fix it or sell it. its of no use as is

10/16/2017
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hi there, I am Cam.

Have you looked at the transmission at all? one thing I am suspecting is the torque converter clutch is slipping and creating that extra heat in the cooling system. If this is the case, a new torque converter is needed.
The second option is plugged or facing exhaust. If the catalytic converters are plugged, it would create more back pressure resulting in more heat and lower compression due to the excessive back pressure. This can be tested at a muffler shop.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic