GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have a 08 Malibu LT 2.4 liter that will not start from the…

Customer Question
I have a 08 Malibu...
I have a 08 Malibu LT 2.4 liter that will not start from the ignition what I did notice is that when you turn the key on the fuel gauge goes up and then comes down to empty and when you turn the ignition key trying to start the vehicle the dash lights and radio lights go out until the key is released the battery and starter both are good I checked the starter relay that was okay and jump-started the vehicle from the relay port to check the starter that was okay I also tried moving the shifter in different ranges to check the neutral safety calibration I also checked all three fuse boxes in the vehicle all the fuses were good and I remove the ECM from a vehicle that was running that had the same part number as mine installed it and the vehicle still did not start
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GM
10/7/2017
GM Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning, my name is***** am a GM master certified mechanic and would be happy to assist you with this.

Have you verified that there is fuel in the tank? If the gauge is showing empty then it is highly likely we have a fuel issue going on. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key? Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester?

What I have is electrical problem I have a half a tank of fuel and a fuel pump is working the engine does not crank over the starter is fine I tested it I jumped it out the starter relay is okay the battery is new from my understanding this vehicle starting system is tied into the ECM I interchange the ECM from another vehicle with the same part number the vehicle still does not crank from the ignition key I move the shifter range selector two different positions just in case the neutral safety calibration was off still no effect of starting

Have you been able to find out if you have any trouble codes stored?

If the engine is not turning over that means we either have a fuel or a spark issue. We will need to check for fuel pressure at the injectors, as well as spark output. The best thing to start with will being getting access to a scan tool and checking for any trouble codes. That will help us determine with the problem is originating

This is not a fuel problem or ignition there's no motion from the engine when the key is turned to crank over the starter as I stated the starter is okay the starter relay is okay I even changed out the ignition switch and still no motion from the starter I bypass the starter to test it which is okay the relay is okay brand new battery and as I stated from my understanding that the starting system goes through the ECM wish I did change out the ECM with another one from a vehicle that was running

My apologies, I missed the part where you said there was no crank, I thought that it was cranking but not turning over.

Since you have already replaced the ignition switch that does make me think there is an issue with the module programming/anti-theft system. The new ECM has to be programmed to your vehicle, even if it was taken from a similar vehicle due to the fact that the ECM saves and stores info for the anti-theft system. Your key has a chip inside of it with a specific code, and that code gets paired to the module, if the module is not programmed when it is installed then it is never able to recognize the key, therefore when you turn the ignition switch it is recognizing that as an attempted theft and disables the vehicle.

how did the original module lose its program the vehicle was running fine went went in the store came out and no start battery and starter both were ok if this is a anti theft programming problem how will I be able to identify that befor having it reprogrammed

Electrical faults usually present themselves at pretty surprising moments, and unfortunately there are not many ways to be ready when they happen.

The original fault could still be related to the ECM, but since the ECM was swapped it is possible that the new ECM has inhibited starting, so we have no way to tell if that is the issue or not until it is programmed and communicating with the vehicle.

Personally, if it was a car that I had in the shop I would swap the ECM back to the original, and then get a scan tool and see what is stored in the trouble codes. Doing it this way will ensure we are chasing the correct problem and not wasting time on something else. If there is no trouble codes then we will need to check for power/ground signal coming from the ECM to the ignition circuits

the first thing i did when the problem existed was checked for codes and there was no codes then I swapped out the ECM to see if that was the problem

Ok, I am glad you were able to get the car scanned at least. Without any sort or troublecodes stored it makes this very difficult to diagnose through text and since you have already checked all the basics it looks like this will have to have some deeper diagnosis done in person, that way I am not just suggesting parts to throw at it. I am going to opt out of this question and reopen it to other experts who may have more information on this for you. Best of luck getting things running!

GM Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** you still need help?

i still need help I'm not certain if Gabriel Greydanus forward u the info on are discussion regarding the roblem that i am having with the vehicle if not I'll start over from the beginning
With the key on what light are on the dash?
If you need to take a picture you can post it here
Lights on the dashboard or the brake light security light seatbelt light engine light
Have you done anything with the keys? How many keys do you have?
No I haven't done anything with the keys I have two keys
You have tried both keys?
I have tried both keys question when I turned the key to the store position All of the Lights on the dash and radio go out and the gauges go to full capacity and when I release the key the gauges return back down and the lights come back on does this mean anything
Have you put back in the original ECM?
Do you mean in the start position?
I have the original ECM back in the car which is doing the same exact thing as the one I changed it out and yes I mean in the store position
What is store position?
You have off/key on /cranking
My mistake I meant starting position which is the cranking position

The gauge and lights are operating normal.

You have had no work done on the car before this problem?

No work has been done to the car at all prior to this problem no more than an oil change that was done at the dealership the car was running fine i went in the store came out and it would not start the battery was good and the starter is there any way to determine if the security system is the problem

The security light should not be on.

You need a scan tool that can read theft deterrent module codes. Not all scan tools can.

You could try this.

Disconnect both battery cables and touch the together. This will reset all modules.

Resetting the module did not make any changes is there a possibility that it need reprogramming is there a schematic available for the starting system from the ignition switch to through the relays and to the module that I can check but first of all what is the easiest way to bypass the neutral safety

I think you have a security problem.

To diagnose this problem you need a scan tool.

Here is a link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z3nzlrgjv3floje/AAC5I7Oqiu-8HMSGthHQim24a?dl=0

Here is a schematic for the security system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tl1o2jfnday31c/2008%20security%20schematic.pdf?dl=0

GM Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello there,

I would say you have a dead ECM or no communication with the ECM.

The fuel gauge reading zero is because the ECM is not reporting the fuel level.

Fitting an ECM from another car like you have done won't work either because you have not unlinked it correctly from the donor vehicle first.

And then not linked to your immobilizer.

What you should done is have the car scanned by a GM dealer tech.

I don't believe there was no codes, you need to perform a vehicle wide scan, and a module presence check.

How far to your nearest GM dealer?

Gary

Hello again Herbert,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician