GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My airbag light came on and I don't have 700$ to fix it. Any…

Customer Question
My airbag light came...

My airbag light came on and I don't have 700$ to fix it. Any help would be great. Also am I in danger bc of This? William

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Not that I know of

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2008 Gmc envoy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing bc i don't want to make it worse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If been reading forums and thats it. It just happened this morning

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GM
10/6/2017
GM Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you know what code is being stored in the airbag light system?

No I don't. It just came on this morning?

I see, well I thought since you had an idea of cost you might know what the code was.

As far as danger, you are not in any. The light being on means the air bag system is disabled.

The only way to know what is happening with the system is to have the codes read. This is because there are so many parts. The air bags are only one part, there are impact sensors, seat belt pre tensioners, wiring harness that need to be checked. If your horn isn't working or if you have trouble with the turn signals, the usually indicates and issue with the spiral cable in the steering column, but usually thats our only lead without a code.

Like I said it's not like the air bag is suddenly going to go off on you, so you are safe to drive it. I would get the codes read before jumping to a $700 repair concern. An impact sensor would be a whole lot less then that.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

What do you mean by disabled? And the reason I know the price is I read the forums. Is at the standard price I'm going to be expecting from mechanics or is there a YouTube video I can watch and fix this problem. And with a forums correct in their pricing they range from 500 to 750?
Sorry for my autocorrect messing up some words but I think you can get the gist of what I was saying.

Disabled means it won't go off if you have a crash.

As for the Forums, like I said, there are a lot of different parts that make up the system. Air bags themselves are expensive, but some of the components aren't. Once you have a code, then you have an idea what the actual problem is, then you go for cost and video's and forums and so forth.

I was wondering if you were able to find out what code has the light turned on?